The Better Setter

Start from the beginning

'I want us to win.'

------

"Ya~hoo Tobio-chan!" Oikawa waved to Kageyama as they each took their places by the net. "I came here today looking forward to defeating the 'genius setter' so do try your best and put up a fight."

"We won't lose!" Hinata yelled before Kageyama could answer.

"Don't just come over here and cut me off, idiot!" Kageyama yelled equally as loud as his orange haired teammate. He turned back to Oikawa and cleared his throat. "We won't lose this time either!"

-------

Yana sat in her designated area by the coach and began to compare each team's starting order. From what Yana had seen from the Nekoma v Karasuno match the order was unsurprising. Nishinoya, Tanaka, Asahi, Sawamura, Tsukishima and of course the wonder duo, Hinata and Kageyama. Like Coach Irihata, Yana was also excited to see how the team had evolved since she had last seen them.

-----

Karasuno had the opening serve. Tsukishima went for an overhand serve and sent the ball over the net.

Kunimi hit the ball up and passed it over to Oikawa. Matsukawa and Hajime started their run up and leapt. Oikawa too jumped up to reach the ball faster. He changed his hand position and sent down a sudden dump shot surprising both Karasuno and the spectators. The first point went to Aoba Johsai.

"Come on now. I'm going to do the same thing again next time, ok? Don't space out, make sure to stay vigilant." Oikawa chirped with a smug look on his face.

----

Yana watched the dump happen then sighed as she heard Oikawa taunt Kageyama and Hinata. "He really can't keep it to himself, can he?"

Coach Irihata chuckled slightly. "Not at all."

-----

"Send it over!" Hinata yelled as he ran up to the net beside Tanaka.

Both the spectators and players prepared for the legendary freak quick. Hinata jumped as high as he could, his eyes closed with absolute faith in Kageyama's toss. Hinata swung his hand down with all his strength. While it was touching and amazing that Hinata had enough trust in his setter to close his eyes and blindly spike, it wasn't the slightest bit desirable in the long run.

The ball flew right to the Libero. Watari dug the ball to Oikawa who was already mid-air in spike position. Both Tanaka and Hinata jumped to block Oikawa. "Just kidding~" Oikawa barely changed his posture and set the ball to Hajime who slammed the ball down with a hard swing.

"Oi, that was a little low."

"Really? Sorry" Oikawa returned to his spot a little surprised by his mishap. "But you can always get there to hit it anyway Iwa-chan." The cheers of the crowd almost threatened to drown out his words.

------

Both Coach Irihata and Yana watched as the next rally began. Hinata and Tanaka ran towards the net once more to attack. "It's going to Tanaka, I think?" Yana tilted her head, something felt a little off with her prediction, Yana's eyes widened. Wait. A pipe? Yana shifted her attention to Asahi who was in position for the back attack. At the last moment Kageyama changed his set into a dump and let it drop to Aoba Johsai's side of the net. Everyone, including Kageyama's teammates paused in shock. Yana bit her lip to try and contain her laughter. She really shouldn't laugh but it was a little amusing.

Once the shock was over, the crowd cheered. "He returned the favor with a dump shot of his own!"

-----

"Next time, I'll do the same thing again, so please do be vigilant." Kageyama scowled. He hated to lose, especially when it came to volleyball.

"You damn brat."

No one could keep their eyes off both Setters. It felt like a 'Setter Showdown' if anything. But knowing Oikawa and Kageyama's past it was inevitable stand off.

"That's amazing, Kageyama! You outsmarted the Grand King!" Hinata punched the air to congratulate Kageyama.

"Even if he's someone whose overall power is the best in the prefecture, when it comes to being a Setter, I won't lose."

Thanks to the point Karasuno scored, the team rotated clockwise which meant Kageyama was the server. He recalled Oikawa's serve then began to try it himself. It was unfortunate but expected that Kageyama sent the ball flying a little too far out.

"That was a real impressive missile." Hajime watched the ball soar right out of the court.

"Nice homerun, Tobio-chan!" Aoba Johsai went through a rotation after their free point which put Oikawa in position to serve. "I suppose as your senior I'll just have to show you how it's done."

------

Yana tilted her head slightly as she watched the ball. Fairly recently Oikawa had asked Yana to show him a jump topspin serve and teach him how to properly execute it. Due to his hard work and dedication it didn't take very long for him to master it, even Yana was impressed. Though, on more than one occasion both Hajime and herself had to drag Oikawa off court and back home. They both knew that if they didn't, then Oikawa would probably be practicing all night long.

------

Oikawa tossed the ball up and took a few paces forward before he jumped and smacked the ball over at its highest point. The ball flew to Nishinoya at an amazingly fast pace. It seemed like a drive serve with how it was going towards Nishinoya, thought Yana was absolutely certain that Oikawa had put a nasty spin on the ball.

Nishinoya prepared himself, he had heard scary things about Oikawa's serve. He couldn't miss the receive. He was going to show the team that Oikawa's serves weren't unstoppable.