Family Dinner

Thankfully, the move to their new house was a smooth one. No missing luggage, nothing forgotten, no little inconveniences. Yana was more tired than anything, she had cried during the first portion of the trip when she had to say her goodbyes to Kuroo and Kenma.

The first thing she noticed when they arrived was the lack of bustle. Yana was used to the tall buildings laid down in precise grid patterns, the streets jammed with traffic and the fumes from belching vehicles. She grew up in a city that was a vast labyrinth of noisy streets and alleys. There was none of that here. There was an earthy breeze to the air, the fragrance of flowers and trees. That's not to say it was completely flowers, meadows and farmland. She wasn't going out that far, it was just far enough that there were no skyscrapers or tall buildings in sight.

Their new house was -if she was being completely honest- pretty average. It was more spacious than the place in Tokyo, that's for sure, but apart from that, there weren't any real notable differences. Yana hauled the suitcases filled with her items up the stairs to her room. She took a second to catch her breath before opening the door. Yana wasn't sure what she was expecting but it wasn't too bad. The bed was pushed against the side of the room, adjacent to the large window and mahogany bookshelf. Below the window there sat a modern styled white desk, it's surface empty.

Yana brought in the rest of her luggage and let out a small huff. "It's time to unpack everything." The walls were a soft blue that nicely complimented the lacy white curtains and hardwood floor. Slowly, she found a place for each personal effect to live.

It wasn't long before the brightness of the sunlight began to wane. Yana watched the cloud patterns as they lazily drifted across the darkening sky. It had already been hours since she started unpacking and rearranging. She turned back to examine her newly put together room. Yana thought she did a pretty good job on it. The walls were sprinkled with various photos of her family and best friends, some framed and others pinned onto a large cork board which sat on the wall beside the desk. On her desk lived a colorful array of stationary, her laptop and her favorite photo. It was a candid picture of Kuroo, Kenma and herself. It was a cold winter's day and they were mid-snowball fight when the photo was taken. Their rosy cheeks and red noses fit in perfectly with their laughter.

"Yana! We will be having dinner together with cousin Hajime and his family." Her mother called from downstairs, breaking Yana out of her trip down memory lane.

"Ok, Coming!" She stood up and made her way downstairs. Hajime? Was that his name? Yana shrugged noncommittally, it didn't matter if she didn't know his name right away, she was certain he probably didn't even know hers. Yana slipped on some flip flops and made her way to the door.

"Are you going to dinner looking like that?"

Yana looked down at herself. She was wearing a red oversized hoodie with the words 'Oya Oya Oya' printed on it in white block font and her plain black leggings. The hoodie was originally Kuroo's, but Yana 'borrowed' it on a particularly cold day, and it became her hoodie ever since. "Yeah? I don't look that bad." She pouted and brushed a few stray hairs out of her face. Yana had to admit that her neon pink flip flops might have been the actual reason for her mother's comment but oh well.

Yana trailed along beside her parents as she drowned out their idle chatter. She wasn't particularly interested in meeting with her other relatives, but since they were going to be neighbors the chances that she would be roped into doing something with this 'Hajime' were very high.

---------

"Kenma, have you seen my hoodie? The red one."

Kenma smiled slightly not looking up from his game. "I told Yana she could keep it."