Maybe I should eat something first...

**

I shut my car door with a sigh and tucked my keys away into my purse.

My feet carried me down the sidewalk, towards the old library building. Today is quiet, and calm.

The air felt crisp and cool since it was still early morning. It's not supposed to get above 70 today, last time I checked the weather.

November always brings my favorite time of year. Cool weather, holidays, Christmas music.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath in. When I opened my eyes, I glanced next to me.

Normally there would be a 6'5, annoying, ego centric radio host walking next to me down this sidewalk, telling awful jokes and making fun of me any chance he's presented.

But walking alone is nice, too...

I suppose...

The library came into view and I sped up my pace. I pushed the door open, hearing the little bell jingle overhead. A smile rose to my lips and I took a deep breath.

Gotta love that library smell.

Of course, sitting in her chair at her desk was Mrs. Ida.

I walked over to her desk, and she looked up from her book. Her wrinkled face lifted into a smile and she glanced behind me.

She must be looking for Alastor.

"He's not with me," I said with a smile, "he...uh...he's on a business trip," I finished and I mean...it's not really a lie?

Mrs. Ida hummed, "a shame, he's a sweet boy..." she said and I looked off to the side.

Sure...sweet...

"Yep, he's a...gentleman...that's for sure," I chuckled and she stood up from her chair, that same soft smile on her face.

"So, dear, I can't help but feel curious..." Mrs. Ida started, rounding the desk. Once she was in front of me, I had to look down at her slightly.

"Where did you and this boy meet...? If he lived in this town I'd know," she chuckled, "I've been here since 1922, and I've never seen him before," her voice took on that tone again...a suspicious tone.

I glanced around, "w-what do you mean? Of course he lives here," I chuckled nervously, "I-I met him out where I live, he lives uhhhh...close...to my house," I smiled cheekily and she raised an eyebrow at me.

"The only old house out there is yours, dear...however, if you insist, I suppose I believe you."

No she doesn't.

Then something occurred to me, and I tilted my head, looking down at the old woman in front of me, "speaking of my house, how did you know I lived there?" I asked her, "Eliot stopped by, and said he got my address from you," I said and put my hand on my hip.

She just smiled and turned, heading back to her seat. After she sat she sighed, "there's no other house that could've been yours, dear...that house has been vacant since—" her eyes got a far away look and her smile faded slightly.

"Since he lived there." She finished, her voice hard.

My eyes widened and it was just then I registered she said she was born in 1922. She lived through Alastor's time here...and she lived here when he died.

Ok it makes sense why she's so wary around "Max" now.

I nodded, "yea, I guess that makes sense...what was it like...living back then...with him living here...?" I asked, my voice growing smaller.

She looked up and looked me in the eyes, her voice growing dark.

"Terrifying."

I blinked, my eyes widening. I got a cold chill and smiled sheepishly.

"I'm sure it was...well, I'll talk to you later—"

"Darling, where did you get that bruise?"

My cheeks lit up and my hand slapped over my neck, "bruise? what bruise? I don't have a bruise!" I laughed nervously and internally screamed. I thought I covered that up!

"Dear, on your arm...?"

My arm...?

I turned my arm and looked and sure enough, right on my forearm was a deep, nasty bruise.

My eyebrows rose as I looked over it, I didn't even realize that was there...did I hit something?

Maybe I did it while I was cleaning and just didn't realize.

"Oh...I didn't even know that was there," I said and then waved my hand dismissively, "it's nothing, Mrs. Ida, just a cleaning mishap I guess," I smiled at her and she returned it.

"Alright...well, don't be a stranger..."

I waved at her as I walked away, "I won't, I'll come see you again soon!" My hand touched the door and I was about to open it when she spoke again.

"And, dear..."

I turned to face her slightly.

"Be careful around that boy of yours, I'd hate to see you get hurt again, sweetheart,"

Her voice held a warning behind it, and I just smiled softly.

"Don't worry, he's no trouble, I promise," I said before I pushed the door open and stepped back out into the world.

My smile fell and I glanced back at the doors before walking down the street towards Eliot's neighborhood.

Something is just not right about that woman...