may 28: reality and robbers

i'm all packed, everything is in bags that i won't need for the next two days. my immigration forms have been sent out and accepted in record time and my family knows that i'll be spending the last few months of school and the summer with them before heading to ottawa for university, which i found out yesterday that i got accepted into. i'm ready.

cade still hasn't answered my texts. i didn't tell him i will be coming back because i want to make sure he's there when i type it out, that he'll respond. unlike now, he doesn't even read my texts as far as i can tell and i'm actually really worried.

i exit elliot's mercedes that he let me use to finalize some stuff at the emigration's office and walk up to the front door of our dorm house.

my key's in my back pocket and i take my time slipping it out and inserting it into the lock, breathing in the smoky rainy air of london that i won't breathe for awhile after the next few days.

by the time i get in the house, i immediately know something's wrong. the lights are all off, the air is dusty and there's no sign of life even though sean and lindsey's cars are parked in the driveway.

fear crawls through my veins and shivers crawl up my back. something's definitely off. i just hope everyone's okay.

sliding the key into my pocket again and picking up a vase on the front table that could seriously do some harm i yell out

"hello?"

then, in a flash, the lights all turn on and i'm briefly blinded as my eyes adjust. swinging out the vase, a bunch of bright colours fill my vision and all i hear is lindsey's voice

"surpri-"

then she breaks off in laughter.

i stand still and stare at my surroundings. thomas, sean, elliot, lindsey and oliver all stand in a circle behind the kitchen table where they must've been hiding. elliot is holding a bunch of brightly coloured balloons that cloud my face and thomas holds a cake with a picture printed of all of us on it in edible ink.

me, well, i'm holding a vase as a weapon.

the entire group joins linds in laughter and i still stand there gaping.

"sur-sur-surp-surprise!" sean huffs out through bouts of laughter, he doubled over and clutches his stomach.

"huh." i stare at all of them, confused.

"it's a surprise party! for you! we wanted to leave you with a nice going away party!" oliver chuckles.

oh.

ohhh.

awkward.

i sheepishly put down the vase and join my friends in laughter.

"thanks guys. sorry about my entrance." i giggle.

"no worries!" elliot guffaws.

"come on, let's eat this cake before i eat it all by myself!" thomas exclaims and pulls sean with him to the kitchen, asking where the knife and plates are.

the two of them busy themselves with cutting my cake and i go over and talk to the rest of my friends gathered around.

"thanks guys!" i express my gratitude, tears of happiness streaming down my face from the love of my friends and laughing at how ridiculous i must've looked holding the vase like i was about the murder someone.

"you really thought we were robbers there didn't you?" elliot smirks, taking my hands and leading me away from the rest of our group.

lindsey eyes me momentarily but gets pulled to the side by oliver who takes some of the cake and puts icing on her nose. she immediately gets distracted and begins to chase after her crush.