Chapter 25 Karma will you be my girlfriend?

Start from the beginning

There was a big pond outside the building, about twenty small canoes on it and in the front of this all one huge projection screen.

Since it was still only spring, the air started to get cold and soon, the sky would be as dark as ink. The staff was already lighting up countless of candles all around, making them look like small fireflies, and preparing blankets in case any couples felt cold.

You heard right.

This was a premium set up for couples. And also the one thing Asano had planned all along, too embarrassed to tell the girl.

"Wow," Karma gasped as she took in the sight, "what is this supposed to be?"

The student council president felt pretty nervous, but his voice somehow managed to stay calm: "It seems we will be watching the film on a boat," then he took her hand and lead her towards one of those wooden canoes. Also, they took the blanket.

"Didn't know something like this existed," she grinned as she hopped on her seat.

"Neither did I, but we learn new things everyday," the strawberry blonde replied.

So strange. His heart was beating so fast he'd think it would explode any time.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the film will start in two minutes," an unknown person suddenly announced through the speakers and all other people were already positioned, mainly in the middle of the pond.

"Ready?" Asano turned at the redhead, receiveing a nod.

"Alright," he smiled and their ship started sailing. (pun intended)

Soon, the sky truly darkened and the screen lightened up, indicating the start of the film.

It told a story of a blind man who fell in love with a woman that helped him get over the street. About how their frienship began - going for a coffee, having a light-hearted conversation, how they found out about their similarites. And then how it all evolved into something more than mutual understanding. It showed the hardships this relationship had to go through - insecurities, misunderstandings, feelings of worthelesness.

Karma never knew she was capable of it, but she actually cried.

She wailed even more when the film ended - with the woman realizing she couldn't do it anymore, the man accepting that reality and living on.

Everything going back to zero.

Them living like strangers.

"I hate this film," she choked out while sobbing, "I hate it so much,"

"I don't," Asano whispered, giving her a handkerchief.

"When this film airs, I will rate it with one star," she said, but they both knew it was a lie.

"It was pretty... sad," he admitted. Truthfully, he was slightly tearing up many times as well, but couldn't afford to lose his cool in front Akabane.

"It's even worse knowing that they still loved each other, even after breaking up," she said, no longer crying, but her eyes still red.

The two of them then quietly sat on the canoe for some time. Five minutes. Then ten. Then fifteen. There was no source of light apart from the candles which only let them see things that were at most one meter from them. But that was enough. All they needed was to see each other.

"You knew what this film was about in advance, didn't you? I bet you wanted to see me heartbroken. Well, here I am," the redhead finally calmed down, already joking.

"No, I didn't," the latter denied, "but seeing you heartbroken is quite a spectacular sight indeed,"

"Asshole," she laughed and the silence took over again.

Until,

"But I knew that we would be watching it in a canoe for two," he confessed, determined to tell her how he feels.

That drew Karma's attention.

"I was lying earlier, when I said I was bribing you to get a room with acc" he tried to mask his nervousity with humour.

"You want a private bathroom too?"

"I want to hold your hand like this more," he looked straight into the beautiful golden orbs.

"I want to hold your hand when we walk in the streets, warm it up in the winter when you forget your gloves and kiss it when you least expect it,"

Karma was too struck to give him any funny, mischeivous comment, which the strawberry blonde appreciated.

"And if you ask me what today was, then I will be honest. It was a date, which took me all courage I had to ask you on and which I was looking forward to so much I couldn't sleep properly for the last week. Which explains my mood swing today, now that I mention it"

The girl snorted, rolling her eyes.

"What I mean to say is," he took a deep breath, and then finally let it out: "Will you be my girlfriend?"