Chapter 18 Maybe being together isn't so bad

[Third Person P.O.V]

"It's finally winter, isn't it?" Karma absent mindedly whispered to herself, looking up the sky. Snow flakes were starting to fall down and they landed on her cheeks, nose, hair - some melting, some staying there the way they were, beautiful white decoratation to her flaming red hair.

She was standing in front of the school building, though her her mind was wandering somewhere else. That's why she had not registered the strawberry blonde standing at the gates gazing at her.

Asano didn't say anything nor did he make any effort to get noticed. He just leaned on the frame, knowing that there was no student left at school (it was about six already, all the classes have ended long ago and he and Akabane were the only ones staying behind to study).

Therefore, he was not worried about anyone seeing him lost in the scenery in front.

He wasn't thinking anything particular.

They were actually both going to his place today and she was only waiting for him. Strange, right? But it has been more than months since the start of the school and since they started coming over (yes, when Gakushuu wanted to take a break from his home, he'd go to Karma).

And the teenagers knew very well that they weren't just enemies now. They were friends.

Bickering, pretending to hate each other, but friends.

It felt strange.

"Well, how long do you intend to stare at me?" the redhead finally broke away from the sky, locking her eyes with his.

The boy sighed, walking down the stairs towards her: "I thought it would be rude to disturb you since you seemed to be so deep in thought,"

Karma narrowed her eyes: "How considerate of you - aren't you by any chance sick? Delirious?"

"Maybe," he deeply inhaled the fresh cold air, cocking his head backwards to find out what exactly it was that she saw.

There wasn't much. Just a cloudy, hostile sky. He couldn't understand what managed to keep Akabane's attention for so long or what could have managed to make her expression become so gentle.

"Wait, what?" her voice suddenly ringed through his head.

Confused by the question, he couldn't think of anything better than: "What?"

"Did you just admit you're sick? Oh snap, that must be really bad, taking your stubborness into account."

He chose to ignore the part with stubborness because it was actually true.

"Not sick," he simply declared.

"Really," the girl frowned. "Coz you know what, you do actually look bad."

"Wow thanks," Asano rolled his eyes but when the girl didn't stop boring holes into him, he admitted: "I'm just a bit tired,"

But instead of listening to him, Karma focused on something else: "Is that make-up I see-"

And she quickly smeared off a little bit of something skin-coloured off the under-eye part of his face.

A bit roughly though.

"OUCH WHAT THE F-" Asano shrieked in pain, having the feeling of getting poked in the eye.

"You use make-up," Karma exhaled in shock.

"No, I don't and you almost rid me of my eyesight,"

"Not important. You use make-up?!" she repeated again, a very smug grin forming on her face. "Oh my god, this is hilarious, this is worth five blackmail photos,"

"Again, Akabane, I do not use make up."

"No, not five. Seven,"

"That's a concealor, you goddamned dipsh-"

"Maybe eight. Damn, once I combine this information with everything I've got on you, it's going to be so fun-"

"FOR THE LAST TIME, AKABANE, I DON'T USE MAKE UP, I JUST NEEDED TO COVER UP THE DARK CIRCLES UNDER MY EYES!" the student-council president snapped at last, making the girl drop all her jests.

Karma titled her head to one side, the amber orbs slightly dangerous: "Dark circles?"

Well, there goes one Asano's secret.

Leave it to her - the one and only person capable of making him lose it and speak- no, yell before thinking.

He made the most exasperated sigh and rubbed his temples: "Yes, dark circles. Haven't had good sleep in a while. By the way, let's go, the chairman is waiting,"

"Oh yeah, right," they both started walking.

The redhead however wasn't so quick to drop this subject: "Is it because of all the exams they gave us the last two weeks? I knew it must have been very hard for you to keep up, but to the point you had to sacrifice sleep?"

Obviously, she was being sarcastic, that little shit. Asano glared at her for a long time and the girl burst out laughing out of sudden.

"Okay, okay, just kidding!" she managed to get out while holding her stomach. After that she quickly calmed down, her expression all serious in a blink of an eye: "Well?"

"Well what," the boy frowned.

"Why circles under eyes? Is all the work and studying wearing you out that much?" The girl asked, looking straight ahead at the way. This time though, her voice was void of any mockery. It might have actually had slight hints of worry in it though even if it indeed had, Gakushuu was too immersed in his agony to notice.

"That's none of your business, Akabane," he snapped, speeding up. Unfortunatelly for him, the redhead didn't fall back.

"C'mon Shuu-chan~ I'm just worried about-"

"Shut up,"

And despite Karma's bad reputation of being impudent and inconsiderate, she understood that digging into this matter wasn't of any use nor good. Instead, she started talking about how boring the school was and soon, they were back to the type of conversation they usally hold.

Her complaining, him pointing out her horrible behaviour.

Her half-heartedly making fun of him, him returning the favour.

And you know, being together wasn't that bad lately.

Maybe it's because, they're starting to like each other?