Chapter 16 Becoming closer

[Asano's p.o.v.]

Ever since Karma stayed over for dinner the last time, it has become a little costum of ours to dine together when possible (which was quite often because she literally had nothing else to do. Or anyone else to be with, for that matter.)

Strange?

Yes.

I found it extremely strange, maybe even disturbing. We were supposed to be rivals, enemies - throat to throat after all. And there she was, sitting next to me at the table and carefreely talking to my father.

Of course, it was my father who started inviting her over. She herself was quite hesitant, but he made it clear that he didn't mind (neither did I but hey, I couldn't say that).

The first few times, that half an hour with the three of us was suffering - awkward, silent and absolutely unnatural.

About weeks later I got used to her presence and talked to my father about the usual stuff. School, activities, the sports and instruments, the things I have to do for the council.

Karma used to be so awkward she would stay quiet and only eat, but lately she, as well, was getting comfortable, quite oftenly retorting sarcastic comments and rolling her eyes at my achievements.

Yeah, and she was actually extremely experienced at the kitchen. I lost the bet we made.

Even the chairman praised her. Like. really. Praised her.

The monster chairman who had standards higher than the fucking Mt. Everest. Yeah, he stroked that ego of Akabane's which now grew bigger than this whole world could bear.

But that girl was damn impressing.

That's also why she took my place in the kitchen, not only cooking with my father, but also learning new recipes from him.

Most of the times I was not even allowed there, which at first extremely offended me. Now though, I only sit at the table, thinking what the hell was happening.

No, seriously, what the hell.

It's not like there were any problems.

She was actually a great guest, cheerful and when needed (when the chairman was watching) quite polite.

The thing was - How, for the love of god, could it occur to me that I felt relaxed in her presence? This was wrong, after all. I was supposed to hate her for being the complete oposite of people I value - rash, rude, the deliquent with temper.

And she was supposed to hate me for being the- how did she say it - boring, egoistic nerd. Yet I found myself smiling quite often when she sat next to me.

And despite my brain screaming at me that this was ridiculous, denying the feelings I had was impossible.

I felt happy.

Was that normal?

That question I have been asking myself for the past two weeks. And now.

I was too occupied to even notice that the teacher was speaking. When I did, however, it was too late, because he was already walking out of the classroom.

Unfortunately for me, all my previous friends (the 5 virtuosos) have all gone to different high schools so I couldn't casually ask anyone about what I have missed. The others were no option to me since I was their ruler and it was a huge no for them to know I was not paying attention. I was supposed to be their role model after all.

So that left only one person who wouldn't give or have any shit about me being somewhat superior. Because she absolutely did not believe it and made it clear that she didn't. From her way of speaking for example.

"Ace-kun, don't you think you're slacking? Not listening to the teacher's instructions, ts ts," Karma made a disapproving sound, a mocking glint in her eyes.

"Shut up, what did he say?" I sighed, not even bothering with keeping my act of a flawless charming class president in front of her.

She has heard me swear many times anyway (and heard some of my childhood stories from my father. I still remember her teasing me about it for the next whole week).

"We're gonna dissect a kidney, that's all. Just prepare yourself and go get the gloves," she shrugged and then went to take her laboratory coat. It suited her quite a lot actually, she looked very proffesional with the hair pulled into a pony tail and eyes so sharp.

Anyway, we had biology right now. Apparently, today was one of the rare times when we could do something else than just sit and write seven pages at least and then memorize them. Instead, we had the chance to truly verify all the things we have been told.

In other words, laboratory work.

Since we were now doing the human body, the excretory system paritculary, we could have a look inside one of the organs - the kidneys.

We were supposed to do it in groups but I preferred to work alone.

This time I couldn't. The teacher brought only five pork kidneys (no idea how he managed to find 5 but not 6 as kidneys are pair organs) and our class consisted of 21 people (usually it's 30 but some weren't present), 4 from them ( all of the being girls) sitting in because the sight would allegedly make them sick.

Actually, all the girls were doing the ew sounds. Only Karma seemed fine. Or maybe even excited.

Back to the topic - only 17 of us were actually working. Our classmates were already seperated into four groups, each consisting of 3 people, the last two students were to do this together.

Guess who were those two.

Yes, it was me.

And yes, it was Akabane.

Don't get the wrong idea, I was not an outcast but the complete oppposite. I was very popular, very often the topic of girls (who thought I couldn't hear it but well) and the sport idol among my male classmates.

They all admired me but I didn't try to become anything more than just classmates with them, rather focusing on the superior-inferior relationship (don't act surprised). So it kind of made me unreachable.

Akabane on the other hand was infamous for her... everything. I don't think there's any need to explain.

Just.

Akabane.

"If possible, please do not mess around with the scalpels, the working material or any of the organs that I have," I told her the moment we stood next to each other, ready to start with the disection.

The redhead rolled her eyes and made a disappointed grunt: "And there go all the plans from A to Z,"

I actually snickered.