Chapter 20 The bet that will change everything

[Karma's P.O.V.]

I had a weird dream.

It was a normal school day, I don't recall what the weather looked like, nor what time it was and I don't think that's even important, it's just that my sense of perception was absolutely on another level, much sharper, much stronger and my thoughts are so chaotic that I can't help saying too much and not filtering trivias. But the strangest thing of all was that the whole atmosfere felt natural. Even the fact that I was sitting next to Asano instead of my usual last seat in the middle felt natural.

We were talking about something (peacefully, which should have been probably enough for me to realize this wasn't reality), but apart from the fact, the whole classroom was grey, boring and even more disgusting than usual. And then the scenery changed into a field of yellowish flowers. We were sitting on the grass, vast blue sky painted over our heads. There was an incredible feeling of joy in my chest, I could feel myself smiling and I turned at Asano, expecting him to react the same way. But what greeted me was a hateful glare. He promptly stood up and walked away. For some reason, I desperately tried to stop him. The yellow petals, the things resembling tiny suns around us started withering until they were all brown and ugly. And then I noticed that they weren't withering, but burning.

That's us, he said, voice sharper than a blade, yet painfully regretful.

I woke up with a sharp jerk, my breath heavy. I saw my fingers slightly shake, but couldn't get any sense to them. It was as if I just drowned. Cold. Tired. Paralyzed. And yet, it was just a dream. Confusing, strange, but still a dream. Those were always uncomprehendable and crazy, but this one - it left me wondering what it meant, it left me scared of something - what, that I don't know - but the feeling didn't leave no matter how much I tried.

I started hating yellow flowers since that day.

The finals were coming and I saw the strawberry blonde less than usual.

Logically speaking, I should have been rejoicing. Finally some time away from that annoying OCD prick, finally getting my precious independence and freedom back after all. It was supposed to be a huge relief.

That's us

It wasn't.

When I did meet him, it was thursday after school in the library.

Thursday afternoons are rarely beautiful. Actually, no thursdays and none of their parts are ever anything better than unbearable. Logically speaking, the reason is that it is the exact part of the week when we are most tired, most fed up with school. It is the day before the long awaited friday after all.

But that was logically speaking.

With the two of us, there was no logic.

While most of our classmates and other students resembled zombies, drained by the upcoming final exams, me and Asano were more pumped up than ever. He, that fucking nerd, showed that by constantly reading, studying hard and not moving from his spot in the library for four hours in row. I, on the other hand, not quite as socially acceptably.

My book has been opened on the same page for about ten minutes now, but I never got past it because the sight in front was too irritating and distractful.