Chapter 25: High maintenance

Mia didn't return for the night. Lucas called and berated me for mistreating Mia. Even dad picked Mia's side. I didn't get a bloody tattoo and people were treating it as a homicide.

"Sam, I never thought you would dare go against Mia."

"Will you stop happing about the tattoo?" I shouted at Wade.

"I am not talking about it."

"What the hell is it then!?"

"Your plan to run away to Boston. I know Mia is high maintenance but still..."

"Boston!? What nonsense?"

"So you agree Mia is high maintenance?"

"Just get to the point," I snapped.

"You got accepted into MIT, you just got your acceptance mail. Congrats."

"What nonsense!" I wrenched my phone from Wade's hand saying, "I told you to stop playing with my phone."

"Sam got admitted to MIT?" dad asked.

"Yes, for Computer Engineering," answered Wade

"This is great news, son."

"Haha, great news, my foot. Wait till his high maintenance girlfriend finds out," said Wade gleefully.

"Find out about what?" Mia asked, my heart sank. Last night was hell, I missed Mia dearly. I don't get how she equated commitment with tattoos... But one look at her, I felt bad. She had dark circles and her eyes looked puffy.

"Sam has got admitted to MIT," Wade interjected before I could answer.

"Wow, congrats Sam. This is great news," she smiled and hugged me.

"You are not going to kill him?" Wade asked, sounding disappointed.

"Mia," I started but was interrupted.

"Why would I kill him?"

"You have scared him off! He is running away, he is not planning to stay in California. He didn't tell anyone he was applying for MIT."

"Mia, I didn't apply for MIT. I have no idea how I got in."

"No, I did."

I was stunned, Wade stood in shock.

"You applied to MIT for him?" dad asked.

"Yes. I applied for both Stanford and MIT. You will be hearing from them soon I guess. But I think MIT will suit you," she finished.

"What!?"

"You liked programming, but you applied only to colleges in proximity. I figured you were doing it for me."

"Mia, I don't want to go."

"I want to be a supportive girlfriend, not someone who holds you back."

"Mia, you are never someone to hold me back," I hugged her, but she pushed me away saying, "I am still mad at you."

"Mia, how can you equate tattoos with commitment?"

"I am not angry that you didn't get a tattoo, but that you let Wade win."

"Show me your tattoo," asked Angela

"I didn't get one."

"What!? You are telling me now? How am I going to do damage control!"

"What happened?"

"We have done a PR saying Mia and her boyfriend got each other's names tattooed. I even posted pictures of both of your patterns. It's probably all over social media and cine blogs right now. If people know that it never happened it's going to be a landslide."

"You need to get a tattoo now, I don't care for your reasons."

Mia who walked in shouted, "He doesn't want it, Angela."

"But -"

"Just ask them to take down the article, I got tattooed so cover mine in the PR."

"You don't get it, there are more than ten thousand views!"

"We'll do damage control. I will talk with Shawn and ask if I could post about our upcoming project. Maybe some pictures of it. That should claim the spotlight."

"Mia, I would get tattooed..."

"No, I don't want to be your high-maintenance girlfriend."

"Did you two fight?"

But Mia was already on her phone talking to Shawn Mendes.

"Shawn has agreed to post about our upcoming album. Angela, just clear it with his manager and post it."

"Mia, I am sorry."

"Don't be."

"Then talk to me."

"We are talking."

"Not like this. Please..." I pulled her into a hug. "I am sorry I let Wade win, but not wanting a tattoo has nothing to do with how I feel about you."

"Ok"

"I don't want to go to MIT or Stanford. I want to stay here with you."

"I wish you would go to MIT, Sam. I spoke with Emara too, she thinks MIT is the best option for you."

"I thought you hated her."

"I still do."

"Mia..."

"Sam, they offer the best course and Emara said they have a good support system."

"Will you manage without me?"

"You are always with me," she said and touched her tattoo. "And I will visit you most of the weekends, it's just four hours of travel."