Chapter 12: Well that was not awkward

I cornered Darren, who looked utterly dejected. He didn't dare approach Mia after the disastrous car ride.

"Hey got a minute?" I asked Darren.

"Sure."

"How is Mia? I didn't know she didn't want to come with me. I feel like a jerk for forcing her," he said in a small voice.

"Mia is usually like this during her periods, it takes very little to set her off. Don't worry, she will be back to normal."

He looked relieved but his eyes widened as Mia walked towards us ready to cry.

"Pumpkin, my nails broke," she showed her finger and started sobbing, "it took me weeks to grow them."

"It will grow back, don't worry."

I pulled her into a hug, but she bawled her eyes out. She suffers from PMDD. The doctors suggested antidepressants during periods, but Mia cries harder every time I try to feed her medicine. The stress about the audition made things worse.

The next four days passed in a similar fashion. Lucas avoided Mia like a plague. Wade stayed with his friend and never came home. My father said he was busy with work, came late, and left early even before we could wake up. Traitors, all of them.

 Traitors, all of them

"Pumpkin, wake up." Mia shook me awake. She was in her jogging costume. Right, back to tight clothes. She was wearing her sports bra and leggings.

"What time is it?"

"Eight."

"I want to sleep a bit longer."

"Don't be a cry baby."

"You are the one to talk."

"I am sorry, Sam. I wish I didn't behave like that. Next time force feed me the medicine," she said looking guilty.

"I don't mind, plum."

She came and lied next to me.

"Thanks Sam, for sticking with me while everyone stayed far away."

She nudged my legs, I threw my arms and legs around her. She lay snugly in my embrace and closed her eyes. But I was completely turned on and wanted nothing more than to kiss her.

I was shirtless and she was in her bra! She is never this clingy on normal days.

"Kids," my father called and walked in. We both jumped apart.

"Sorry," my dad muttered and quickly got out.

Mia looked flushed as she muttered about the bath and rushed into the bathroom.

I pulled on my shirt and followed my father out.

"What is it, dad?"

My father looked as though he would like to be anywhere but here.

"I knew this would happen, I wish your mother was here. Mmm.." he hesitated. "Just making sure you both are being safe."

Mia walked out wearing a white dress, I couldn't take my eyes off her.

"Safe?"

My father turned red, God! Was he blushing as he said, "I mean... I hope you use proper protection."

Now it was my turn to blush. To my surprise, Mia who had never blushed in her life was blushing, her cheeks pink.

"Dad, please!" I said and pulled Mia out.

"Where are we going?" Mia asked as we stepped out.

"Anywhere but inside," I said.

She giggled.

"Let's watch a movie."

"So early?" But she looked excited.

We had french toast and waffles for breakfast before heading to the cinema.

We stopped by the office to give the designs I have been working on. Rather, the embarrassing conversation with my father was not over yet.

"I am happy for you son. I would be lying if I said I didn't expect you both to date."

"Dad, Mia is not my girlfriend."

"She is not?" my father asked in confusion.

"No, she is not."

"But, why not?"

"Dad, please."

My father dropped further discussion. Mia was on her phone. She beamed when she looked at me. She jumped on me laughing, I spun her shouting, "You got it!"

"Yes Sam, I got it."

"I can't believe it."

"Congratulations, Mia!" my dad said once I let her down.

"It calls for a party!" I said.

"No, I want to celebrate with you guys and Lucas."

"Then I will cook your favourite beef casserole and strawberry cake," I said.

She squealed and hugged me again. "Let's go shopping then."

"I will see you both out," my father said and followed us.

He walked us to my car.

A stranger walked up to my father and said, "Don't accept the McTeer contract, they are dangerous."

We all stood looking at him confused.

He looked around as if to check if he was being followed, "-they would kill me if they knew I was here."

His face paled suddenly and he took off. Mia looked scared.

"Don't worry, he's just a nutter," I said

"Mia, these types of threats are very common in real estate," my dad told her.

"But he said he would be killed."

"Some real estates are directly controlled by the mafia. So they usually threaten if we get a large deal."

"What!"

"We don't associate with them, we just pay some commission from the profit to leave us alone."

Mia still looked scared, I squeezed her hand gently.

"A girl who fights like crazy shouldn't be scared of empty threats like that."

"Sam, the fear in his eyes was real. I just want you and Mr. Denty to be safe."