Chapter 11: PMS is surely a hell, for others

Mia didn't call me after her theatre practice, a clear sign that she got the news of my act of benevolence towards Chloe.

I was busy with work. We had a new client who wanted to build a corporate office. They wanted an NDA signed before they discussed the requirements and only top members of the team were allowed to participate in the meeting.

Don't get all excited. As an underdog, I was to prepare the meeting hall and see to the beverages. This is the curse of working for your father. Sometimes you have to play the role of a waiter and when things get worse, a janitor.

That particular day was not worse, it was worst. I had to play janitor, waiter and IT team. The laptop and projector had to be configured.

Mind you, I am not complaining, I got the chance to eavesdrop on the requirements on my way in and out. It was rather thrilling. From all that I gathered, they wanted to be an extremely secure building.

The meeting ran late and it was almost midnight when we reached home. I opened the bedroom door with dread. What was I going to find in bed; a dead fish or a dead frog or a live frog? I tiptoed slowly to my bed. But to my surprise I found Mia instead.

"Sam," she called while sitting up.

"Hey!" I said trying to sound innocent.

"I couldn't sleep, I am so scared."

"Come here," I said and made her lie with her head on my lap. I gave her a head massage.

I decided to come clean. "I dropped Chloe home today."

"I know."

"You are not angry?"

"I am."

"Sorry."

"I will get back to you some other time, I am nervous now."

"Just don't shave my head again," I pleaded.

"Ok," she said without inflection.

"Get up, this is clearly not working."

I handed her a large tub of ice cream. We both sat eating it.

"Better?"

"Little," she admitted.

We both fell asleep on the couch.

The audition started at 11. More than ten blondes were waiting to be auditioned. First was the screen and camera test. Mia was losing her nerves.

"Miss. Amelia Riley, you will be next," said the assistant.

Mia gripped my hand tightly, she was visibly shaking.

"Mia, look at me. You will do great."

She didn't look convinced. I pulled her into a hug. She relaxed in my arms.

"Wish they would let you in too," she muttered.

"Mia you are born to be in front of the camera. Don't think of them as judges, just imagine you are creating a video for your fans on insta."

"Miss. Riley," The assistant called.

I kissed her cheeks mumbling, "I know you will do great, so I am not going to wish you luck."

She smiled and walked confidently. It was more than 30 long minutes when she returned with a big smile plastered on her face.

"I think they liked me," Mia said, "keeping my fingers crossed."

I was so proud of her. We both stood hugging, neither of us willing to break apart.

 We both stood hugging, neither of us willing to break apart

I sat rubbing Mia's tummy as she lay on my bed. I was sitting on a camp bed near her.

"Thank god, I didn't get my periods yesterday," she said, adjusting the heat pack.

"Why don't you take leave and rest today?"

"No, I don't want to stay alone."

Mia slowly got out of the bathroom. She usually dressed in oversized clothes during PMS.

Lucas and I always treaded carefully. A single trigger and she will start the waterworks. Even Chloe stayed away.

To my annoyance, Darren was waiting outside with a daisy.

"How was your audition yesterday?"

"Fine," Mia said.

She sounded dreadful. Maybe, attending class today was not a good idea.

"You said I could drive you to school after the audition, so here I am," said Darren.

"I will see you at school," I said to Mia and walked to my car.

I waited for a few minutes before leaving.

My phone rang, "Sam where are you?" Mia asked.

"Right behind."

"Come soon," she said and hung up.

It wasn't more than a couple of minutes when she called to repeat her question, but this time her voice was low. I felt like the mother leaving a clingy kindergarten kid at school.

Darren's car was parked on the sideway and both stood waiting. I parked behind him.

The second I got out Mia flung herself onto me and broke down completely.

"Why did you leave me?" she kept sobbing, "I don't want to go with him."

I kept patting her back, I should have known better to leave her during her PMS. Darren looked completely helpless. I mouthed him to carry on. He looked depressed but left us.

With a lot of patting, she finally calmed down. As we reached school, Lucas found Mia. His face paled as though he spotted a ghost, he turned and took off at top speed. That traitor!

Mia seemed to be on the verge of repeating her breakdown if I were to leave her even for a bathroom break. She held my hands the whole day. PMS is sure as hell, for others.