Chapter 15: AK & BK (After Kiss and Before Kiss)

Mia's POV:

Before the Kiss (BK)

Angela and Wade discussed candidates for my first kiss as though it was a science project. God! This was not how a first kiss is supposed to be.

"From what I see Darren seems to be ideal," Angela said and browsed through Instagram like a crazy stalker.

"I don't want to kiss Darren."

"Then whom do you want to kiss?"

"Sam," I said, even shocking myself, to cover up I asked, "where is he?"

Wade looked with triumph in his eyes. I didn't want to stay with them and discuss any longer. I went out for a walk.

Did I really want my first kiss to be with Sam? My every first thing has been with Sam. My first cycle ride, first party, my first dance, first alcohol drink everything was with Sam.

I want Sam to be my first kiss. I want Sam to be my first boyfriend. Oh my god! When did this happen! I am in love with Sam. Just like all other things, Sam is my first love too.

"Mia," called Mr. Denty. He must have just got off from the office.

"Hi, Mr. Denty. You look troubled."

"Work pressure. You look troubled too."

"Work pressure."

Mr. Denty smiled, "Why are you alone? Where is Sam?"

"He went to bed early."

"Want to go for a walk?"

I took Mr. Denty's hand, he was more of a fatherly figure to me than my real dad or stepdad ever have been.

"What is bothering you?"

"How do you know it's not my work?"

"When you love what you are doing it's never really a bother."

I couldn't tell Mr. Denty. Sensing my hesitation Mr. Denty added, "Everything will get better soon. We will always be there for you."

That night I couldn't control my tears. I have fallen in love with Sam. I wanted him to reciprocate my feelings but I was scared of expressing my feelings and making things uncomfortable. I didn't realise I was crying noisily until Sam pulled me into his lap.

"I want my first kiss to be with you," I said and kissed him.

How do you kiss someone? I first tried to mimic the movies. Sam didn't react; feeling stupid I pulled back.

I felt a pang of overwhelming guilt, I had kissed Sam without his consent. It was despicable, if things were turned around I would have felt violated.

"Sorry I stole your first kiss, please don't hate me."

"If you are stealing my first kiss, at least do it properly," Sam said and kissed me.

He kissed me. God! He was a really good kisser. I loved every bit of it. Slowly his tongue explored my mouth. I shivered in pleasure. So this is why people always fuss about their first kiss.

We broke apart after a long time. I buried my face in his chest as my shyness wasn't going anywhere. I felt lighter, and more content; in his arms.

After the kiss (AK)

I don't remember when I slept. I woke up with an inevitable smile spreading across my face. My hands felt my lips. Did we really kiss last night? My cheeks started warming up. And when my brain became slightly less dreamy from recollecting last night, I got up to check the time. It was nine! I had dozed off in Sam's bed and was now lying all alone.

I quickly bathed and went out to find Wade sitting alone.

"Where is Sam and Mr. Denty?"

"They both took off to work early."

I was relieved and disappointed that Sam left. I missed seeing him but wasn't really sure what I would talk to him about when I got to see him.

I had a photoshoot with the douchebag and was busy the whole day. I took my phone to call Sam twice but decided not to. Why do I feel nervous, the one thing I never felt around Sam. How can a single kiss change everything?

I got home by 10 pm to find Sam was late again. I decided to wait for him. I woke up with a start as I heard the door close. I had slept on the couch. Slowly I got up and walked to my room only to find it empty. It was barely seven in the morning, where was Sam?

Sam was definitely avoiding me. Who in the whole world would work on a Sunday morning?

Fine if this was how he was going to do things, he needed a good punch in the face. I called Mr. Hall to drive me to Sam's office.

Sam's POV:

I came home late to find Mia sleeping on the couch. Did she fall asleep waiting for me? I felt warm inside. Today demanded so much self-control for me to not check my phone every few minutes for her to text. And things were hectic in the office. Our design head took ill and I had to step in. Though my father never admits it, I am good at designing.

I wanted to cook Mia's favourite food for breakfast. She was always partial to Belgium waffles with chocolate and Kit Kat. Hoping the supermarket will be less crowded early in the morning, I left the house.

"Where are you?" asked the angry voice of Mia.

"I am at the supermarket," I replied calmly. I was delighted when Mia called me, but I couldn't understand why she sounded angry.

"Supermarket!!" she shouted.

"Yes."

"I am coming, don't go anywhere."

"Ok, but why are you angry?"

"Your office is closed today," she said angrily.

"Ya, it's Sunday, plum."

"I know how to tell the days of the week."

'Wrong move, tread carefully Sam,' I warned myself. Time to defuse the bomb.

"I missed you, plum."

"Then why did you leave so early? Why didn't you call or text yesterday?" she demanded.

"It was hectic at the office. Sorry, plum!"

"Is it because I kissed you without your consent? I am sorry. You don't have to avoid me."

"Plum I am not avoiding you, please can we talk face-to-face and not on a phone call?"

"My feelings are mine. I will sort them out. You don't have to feel bad."

"Plum..."

"I don't want to lose my friend."

"Mia, I wish I could tell this to you face-to-face, I love you."

"You... hic, love... hic, me," she sounded adorable as she started hiccuping.

"Will you be my girlfriend?"