75

"Grand Park. Meet me there. 9 pm by the fountain. There's a small benefit happening close by so there should be plenty of people. We don't need to be alone but far enough away from people so that they don't hear. You know where that's at?" I nodded, even though she couldn't see me. "Yeah, I'll be there. Should I bring Anna?" "If you have to, but try not to," she replied. "She may not be...safe to speak in front of." I was quiet for a moment, thinking about that. A feeling of dread, like a white hot stone, fell to the pit of my stomach. "Does this have anything to do with the connection? Between her and Li-" "STOP!" she screamed, cutting me off. "Don't say her name! Yes, it does. Please, I can't stay on the phone. Don't you hear it? The screams?" Her voice was getting more and more frantic. I didn't hear anything but her ragged breathing on the other line. "No, Amethyst, I don't. I only hear you," I replied. "Be there," she said, quickly, then cut the call. I sat there another minute, looking down at the phone in my hand. It was starting again. The madness, the uncertainty. I don't know why I expected anything less. I had only had Anna back for a couple of days, but it felt like right. Normal. Like nothing could mess it up. I should've known better. I sighed and checked the time on my phone. 6:54 pm. I still had a couple of hours but it would take me at least 45 minutes to an hour to get there. I called Sam to see if he would go with me to meet her. "Hey man, what's up?" he asked. "Hey brother, I wanted to ask you a favor," I responded, getting right to it. "So, ask," he replied. "Amethyst, remember  her? She called and wants to meet me to talk. Tonight. I wouldn't normally ask, but this whole thing with Li- um, with the Darkness is so insane and..." I let my voice trail off. "Colby, what is it?" he asked. "She sounded terrified, Sam. Like, really scared. Something has her not even wanting to speak the Darkness's name. I would just feel better if you were able to go with me, but if not, I understand," I answered. "Shit, I'm supposed to hang out with Kat tonight. Her dad came into town today and we're supposed to have dinner," he said. "Oh," I replied, disappointed. "Okay, that's okay. I can handle it." "No, what time are you supposed to meet her?" he asked. "9 over at Grant Park," I replied. "Is Anna going with us?" he asked. "Not if I can help it," I responded. "Amethyst asked for her not to, if possible. Said that it might not be...safe." "Hmm," he hummed. "Okay, I'll go. Maybe we can get Devyn to keep Anna company. Ask her to come hang out with her or something?" "Colby?" There was a knock on the door, followed by Anna calling my name. "Yeah, just a minute," I called out. "Can you call Devyn?" I whispered into the phone. "Yeah, sure, no problem. I have to talk to Katrina too, but I'm sure she'll understand. We can go out to dinner tomorrow night, or something" I nodded. "Okay, and Sam?" "Yeah?" he asked. "Thanks, man. You always have my back," I whispered. "Of course I do. Sam and Colby vs. the world, right? I'll see you in a few," he replied. I disconnected the call, then stood and went to flush the toilet. Just so Anna would hear it and think that I was using the bathroom. When I walked back into my room, she was sitting on the couch, watching the movie. She looked up and met my gaze. God, her eyes were so gorgeous. A man could really get lost in them. "Hey, you okay?" she asked, softly. "Yeah," I replied, and sat down next to her. "Just had to use the bathroom." She snuggled into my side and went back to watching the movie. My eyes saw what was happening on the screen, but my mind was somewhere else. What could Amethyst have to tell me? What had her so scared? I was nervous as fuck about meeting up with her, but I knew that I had too. This wasn't something that I could run away from. My phone vibrated again a little later, so I pulled it out and looked to see who was calling. Devyn. "Hello?" I answered. "Hey Colby," she said. "Hey Dev, what's up?" I asked, knowing exactly what she was calling for. "I was just calling to see if Anna wanted to come to Cassie's with me and hang out. Have a little girl time." "That sounds awesome!" I exclaimed. "I'm sure she'd love too, but let me ask." I patted Anna's hip to get her attention. "Yeah?" she asked, with her eyes still glued to the movie. "Devyn's on the phone. She's going over to Cassie's and wants to know if you would like to come with her. Have a little girl time," I replied. She looked at me with confusion. "I thought that we were spending the evening together to relax. And who's Cassie?" "I wouldn't mind if you wanted to spend a little time with the girls. I'm sure I can find something to do to keep myself occupied until you get back," I replied. "Cassie is Jake's brother Reggie's girlfriend. Really nice girl. You'll love her." She chewed her bottom lip and looked thoughtful. "I mean, it would be nice just to have a little girl time. Get to know them better. Will Katrina be there?" I shook my head. "No, not this time. She's having dinner with her dad tonight." I watched her face fall a little. "If you don't want to go, you don't have too," I said, unable to try and talk her into doing something that she didn't want to do. She shook her head. "No, I want too. I just don't know Devyn that well, yet, and I don't know Cassie at all. I feel the closest to Kat. It would've just been nice to have someone there who actually knows about me. That's all. Tell her that I'd love to come, and thanks for inviting me." "Are you sure?" I asked. She nodded and smiled. "Yes. If you think you can do without my company for a while, and not perish away." I cracked a smile and leaned down to lay a light kiss on her lips. "I can't make that promise," I responded. She giggled. "Hey Dev, you still there?" I asked. "Yeah, I'm here. So, is she gonna join us?" she asked. "Yeah, she said she'd love too.