17

She pulled the lever on the side of her seat until she was lying back. Her arms went over her head, as she moaned out a good stretch. It was a good thing that I hadn't started moving the car yet, because my eyes were stuck on her. The silver halter that she had on, inched its way up to her breasts, while the skirt decided it almost wanted to play peek a boo. "Holy shit," I breathed out. Her eyes popped open and met mine. All of the air inside the car seemed to evaporate, making it hard to breathe as I stared into her eyes. I wanted to kiss her again, so badly that I had to lock my body into place. If I didn't, then we would not be leaving this spot for a while, and questions might arise that I didn't think she was ready to answer. I tore my eyes away from hers and put the car into drive. We didn't speak for a little while, but it wasn't uncomfortable. I hadn't eaten as much as she did, but we were both a little too full. The pretzel was really just to add one more stop to the trip. There wasn't a drive thru, so I left the car on for her, while I ran in and picked up a couple of cinnamon dusted ones with a side of frosting. When I got back in the car, I turned to hand her the bag, but stopped with what I saw. She was still lying back in the seat, with her head slightly turned in my direction. Her lips were parted and her eyes were closed. One hand was splayed over her bare stomach, lifting and falling with each steady breath. She was asleep. I smiled, and set the pretzels in the back floorboard. "Sweet dreams, angel," I whispered. I had to admit that I hated not taking her to the beach, but there was plenty of time for that in the future. The future. She was alive now. She had technically been alive this entire time. We just hadn't known. Now, we had time and a chance to actually be together. I could take her to the beach whenever she wanted. We could go to a club, if she wanted to dance, and she could meet all of my friends. Okay, she'd already met some of them, but now we didn't have to worry about her just ghosting out in front of everyone. She could join in on movie night, and we could double date with Sam and Kat. This was going to be good. This annoying little voice decided to speak up in my mind at that moment. Beth had said that she could wake Anna up, but she couldn't break the link between her and Lilith. What exactly was that going to entail? Was Anna in danger? How long before Lilith knew that her special girl was gone? What should we expect? I looked at Anna's relaxed, sleeping form again, and then started back home. All of those questions weren't going to be answered tonight, and probably not tomorrow. I wanted to give her a few days of living and having fun, before she had to jump right back into being scared again. I sang softly along with the music, and stole glances at her, when I could. The ride back home didn't take long, but without Anna to talk to, it seemed longer than it actually was. I parked in my usual spot, and quietly killed the engine and got out. When I opened Anna's door, she stayed asleep, breathing deeply. I leaned down and put one arm under her knees, and scooted the other under her back. "Hmraphm," she murmured, snuggling into my chest, when I stood up with her in my arms. My heart felt like it swelled from the notion. When I got to the front door with her, I realized that I couldn't open it. "Shit," I mumbled, then kicked lightly at the bottom of the door. I really hoped that Sam was finished with his personal night and could hear it. I wasn't even able to get my phone out to text him, without waking Anna up and putting her down. Right when I was about to give up, and walk back to the car with her, the door creaked open. Sam stood there, in nothing but his underwear, drinking a bottle of water. He took in the scene in front of him, and cocked his eyebrow. After he brought he water bottle down, he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. "I thought you were going to wait on my text," he whispered. "Kinda didn't have a choice," I replied, motioning to Anna. He grinned. "Yeah, I see that. Been a big night for her, huh?" "Well, technically being brought back to life, and then eating enough food to last the next three days will wear a body out," I chuckled. "Not a salad girl, then," he laughed softly. "Not by a long shot," I answered. "Do you need help with her?" he asked. "I got her, but you can go get the bags out of my car for me, if you don't mind," I replied. "Sure thing," he said, then scooted by me. I turned and watched him strut out to my car in nothing but his boxer briefs. I laughed and shook my head, then started up the stairs with Anna. I struggled with the knob, since I was still holding her, but it finally opened. I pushed the door open further with my foot, then walked around to the other side of my bed. Good thing I didn't make my bed this morning. That left the blankets already pulled out of the way. I lay her down gently, then started working on removing her shoes. When I pulled the first one off, she mumbled a little and stretched, then turned on her side. The tiny skirt inched up, giving me an eye full of her ass. My hands stilled on her other boot, and I sighed. This was really making things hard for me...literally. I looked away and went back to pulling her other boot off. I managed to get the blanket pulled up, without waking her. I stood there for another moment and looked down at her. It was strange how she looked different now. Before, when she could become solid, she had a pale color to her and slight shadows under those gorgeous eyes. There was always just something that wasn't quite real about her. Now, her skin had a golden glow to it, making her rosy cheeks stand out a little more. Her hair was somehow shinier with a lustor to it that made my hands ache to run through it. Her full pink lips were slightly chapped, and parted, allowing her even breaths to escape.