⇨︎ cнapтer тwo ; ғaιnтιng

─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎

─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎[CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM THE ETERNALS]─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎

[CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM THE ETERNALS]
─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎

575 BC - BABYLON

Wandering around Earth in search of her latest exploration, Y/n trailed down a cave near Babylon. Following close behind was Druig, like usual. He knew she could take care of herself, yet he couldn't help but feel a sense of protectiveness over her. Unexpectedly, the ground rumbled, making the two Eternals furrow their eyebrows.

"Deviant," Y/n muttered, recognizing the evil entity's aura that drifted in the air.

Before they even saw it coming, a deviant materialized from deeper inside the cave, staring at the Eternals with hostility established in their eyes. Mouth open, the deviant bolted towards the female eternal, but before it could touch her, Druig heaved her out of the way, clasping onto her tightly.

"Be more careful." Druig reminded, pretending to act annoyed. Slightly flustered, he acknowledged how long he had been holding her close and released his tight hold.

"I thought you'd never let go." Y/n teased as she evaded the deviant's attempts to latch onto her. Using the earth's dirt, she swirled it around the deviant with her power, causing the monster to unleash growls of frustration as it was momentarily blinded. At its moment of weakness, Y/n attached her hand with the deviant, absorbing all of its power and turning it into a corpse.

Druig smirked, impressed by the girl's distinct counterattack. Suddenly, his smirk withered from his expression when Y/n didn't send him an optimistic smile. Glinting in her eyes was a shade of black, and shortly, her body appeared to go limp.

"Y/n!" Druig exclaimed, catching her as concern engulfed his body. After checking for any other deviants, he positioned himself against the cave's wall with Y/n in his arms, gently shaking her with terror intertwined in his pupils. Pleading for her to wake up, he cupped her face in one of his hands, wiping the fractions of soil that managed to decorate her skin. Shifting slightly, Y/n opened her eyes, blinking a couple of times to adjust to the light.

"I thought I lost you." Druig muttered, embracing the girl in an affectionate hug, fastening his arms around her waist as she returned the gesture.

"What happened?" she asked, relaxing her chin on his shoulder.

"You fainted, idiot," Druig mumbled in response.

"Jeez, thanks for caring." Y/n joked.

"We need to tell Ajak," Druig remarked.

"I don't want to worry her," Y/n said softly, feeling her eyelids getting heavy.

"Well, you're worrying me, and you can't do anything to stop me." Druig declared.

"You wanna bet?" she chuckled faintly.

"Not really, but still. Ajak can help." he urged.

"Fine," she said, finally giving in to Druig's insistence. "But I don't think I can walk back. Maybe get Ajak by yourself, and I'll stay here?"

"You must be more of an idiot than I thought if you think I'm going to leave you here," he grumbled. "Get on my back, and I will carry you."

"Are you sure?" the female questioned.

"Just do it before I changed my mind," Druig said as he stood, helping Y/n up onto his back.

─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎

Y/n rested on Druig's back, previously talking about many topics before accidentally falling asleep. He smiled as he listened to her soft snores, making sure she didn't fall. When the rest of the team noticed her, they all scrambled to her side immediately. Seeing Y/n unconscious frightened them, especially after discerning Druig's expression crammed with worry.

"What happened?" Ajak asked as Druig carefully placed Y/n on a bed, allowing all the Eternals to circle her.

"She fainted after fighting a deviant," Druig informed. "Her eyes turned black for a second after she took away its power."

"Will she be okay?" Makkari signed. No one answered, considering no one had a response.

"I feared this would happen," Ajak said, stroking the sleeping girl's cheek.

"What?" Druig urged.

"When she takes away power, it strengthens hers, and she isn't used to controlling this much of it," Ajak explained.

"You knew this could happen, and you didn't tell us?" Druig uttered.

"I wasn't completely sure, Druig. I needed to make sure." Ajak said.

Ikaris spoke, "But she will be okay, right?" In his eyes, Y/n was like a little sister and someone who he could always rely on. Everyone knew that.

Ajak sighed, "I don't know. Fainting is just one of the side-effects. No one knows what else might happen."