Chapter 69

"You have been accused of plotting and going against the king's orders behind his back, starting a rebellion within these very walls, continuously harassing your coming queen, abducted her and attempted her murder." Sergon crossed his arms as he quite literally looked down at the two.

Ciara's gaze moved from Sergon to the two. The accusations had exaggerated their expressions from earlier. Arthas went blank and stock-still while Victoria's face, ears and throat flushed red.

"Lies!" she screamed. "Those are all lies! Who told you this? That girl? She is filling your head with lies, Lodin! Would you really believe her over me?"

"That should be quite apparent," Lodin easily replied. "As it happens, I have witnessed some of these things myself of late."

While Ciara felt warmth spreading through her and tears stinging her eyes, Victoria fumed intelligibly down there. She opened her mouth, but got no chance to even say a word.

"What you say is true, my king," Arthas said, all eyes turning to him. "I plead guilty of my charges." He bowed his head lightly.

Even Lodin was stupefied by the blunt confession from the Commander.

"You must realize this is an offense punishable by death, do you not?" Sergon asked.

"I have no regrets. Apart from the fact I and my men clearly failed." His eyes met Ciara's.

She felt a chill run down her spine. The harsh glint was one she'd seen before, but not from him. His had a much different effect.

"I see. Would you care to explain yourself?" Lodin asked, drawing the Commander's gaze away from her.

"I believe her unfit to be queen. She has no formal training or education in the ways of our kingdom. She is rash, childish and brings more danger than she does security," Arthas said, unblinking. She let her gaze drop to her hands.

"These insecurities are ones you should have brought to me before things got as out of hand as they have," Lodin said.

"I did. You threw me out of your office that day," Arthas shot back.

"Because you insulted her when she had just committed an act of bravery few would," Lodin quickly said, barely letting Arthas finish. "You should have tried again."

"Perhaps I should," Arthas said. "However, I realized you would not see reason, my king."

Ciara saw as Lodin's jaw clenched and his gaze turned to steel. She hadn't realized all of this had happened while she'd been bedridden after that arrow. She'd been told nothing of it.

"Perhaps that was because there is no reason to be found in what you say." Lodin turned to Victoria. "Do you have anything else you wish said?"

"What will happen with my family?" Her voice was much smaller than Ciara could remember ever having heard it.

"Nothing," Lodin replied, his harshness similarly diminished. "I will continue to assist them in having a proper life. Their official status will remain the same, although I fear their reputation is something I can do nothing about."

Victoria dropped her gaze to the ground and nodded with slumped shoulders. She was completely different from the version Ciara had gotten to know.

"As for your punishment," Lodin said. "Just the act of plotting against me is enough for a sentence of death."

"No!" Ciara said, unable to catch the word before it had escaped her. "No, that is too much." She cringed when their attention was so suddenly on her.

"What?" Victoria was the first to say.