Chapter 39

"Your majesty, I have a report," one of the king's many subordinates said as he entered the room.

This man wasn't one of the common subordinates, however. He was a spy, who had kept watch of the Western Kingdom for quite a while. And his report was long-awaited.

"Please." Lodin quickly gestured for the man to speak.

The spy simply nodded and began.

"It is clear that it has deterred the Western Kingdom to have your engagement and alliance to the Dragon Kingdom made official. The news seem to have spread extraordinarily fast, probably due to the unforeseen events." He stood straight, with his hands clasped behind his back. "No movement has been detected from them for close to a cycle now. It is believed the Barbarians were spotted shortly in their territory, however it cannot be certain."

"Damn him," Lodin hissed at the old king of the West.

Had the old man gone and allied himself with a group such as the Barbarians? How in all the seven levels of Hell had he even managed that? - That nomadic group wasn't only hard to come by, but every time one did, it always ended in a bloodbath.

"It is good the news is reaching them, at least." Lodin leaned back in his chair. At least that part was just the reaction he'd hoped from them.

"However," the spy curtly and ominously said. "There have been rumors."

The king leaned forward with narrowed eyes. "What kind of rumors?"

He really didn't need any other complications in this. It was supposed to be so simple, yet it had become so difficult.

"That the marriage is forced, my king," he calmly explained. "That you threatened the Dragon Kingdom into the alliance by threatening the princess."

Lodin sighed deeply, massaging his temples to prevent the headache he knew was coming.

"Why can it never be easy?"

"What sprung these rumors?" Narza asked, having remained otherwise silent.

"It is said the king and princess have never been seen alone together," the spy told them. "People start to wonder."

"That, they do." Lodin groaned. Things weren't perfect, but they weren't exactly horrible either. This could be saved. "Thank you for your report, you are dismissed - I will call when you are needed," He didn't even look at the man, his head already spinning.

"One more move to prove the truth of the alliance should do it," Narza commented, almost as if to reassure the king.

Lodin could only sigh once more.

"I know. And I believe I know what needs to be done."

He wasn't looking forward to that conversation the slightest bit.

The door suddenly slammed open, hitting the wall behind it. A voluptuous blonde with wild hair stood at the door, a similarly fair-skinned man behind her. Both, though especially the woman, were glaring right at him. Her eyes were piercing despite the warm, brown color.

"Are you the king?" she asked, her tone as sharp as the sharpest blade.

Lodin crossed his arms in front of him. "Who is asking?"

He was already fairly certain he knew who this woman was - no one close by would have that kind of hair. Hadn't it been for the furious expression on her face and her obvious hatred for him, she really would've been a beautiful woman.

The woman's glare only turned even more frigid as she looked at him.

"Madia Tarakona, you bastard." She slammed her fist down on the table before even her escort could stop her. "What the Hell do you think you are doing to my sister?!"

He groaned once again, the headache returning to him with full force.

"Not enough, apparently."

Why was it every single problem had been about that princess one way or another recently?

Once again, her fist met the desk. "You had better treat her right, you bastard king!" she snarled, only calming down just a little once the man behind her placed a hand on her shoulder.

Lodin looked to the man, looking for some answers to explain what in the world had brought all these accusations on. He seemed to be the rational one.

"The Water Kingdom - or the West, as you call it - came by for a visit the other day," he explained grimly. "They came looking for an alliance, claiming that Ciara is being mistreated here and promising to help rescue her."

Lodin gritted his teeth. "Damn him," he growled at the thought of the western king. Ultor Vreden. That old man always knew how to throw a wrench in anyone's plans.

"Yes, and if we discover what they said is true, we might just accept it!" Madia warned as she spun around and stormed out of the room in the same manner she'd arrived.

The man, whose name Lodin hadn't even caught, shrugged and followed the woman out.

Lodin sighed not for the first or last time that day. "Why do they all have to be so bloody stubborn and forceful?"

Narza shrugged. "I do not know, your majesty. I do, however, think we were lucky and got the most docile of the litter."