Chapter 64

Ciara's head began pounding as soon as consciousness returned to her. Worse than she'd ever experienced before.

She slowly opened her eyes, grateful no light seemed anywhere near her. It seemed to be some sort of tent she found herself in.

They'd put her on a bed of furs - which was surprisingly comfortable - and removed the gag. They hadn't freed her hands, though.

So, she was with the Barbarians now. Why hadn't they killed her? She didn't get the impression they'd been there to rescue her.

She squinted her eyes when someone pulled the flaps aside, the morning sun blinding her completely.

The flaps were soon pulled closed again and a wild commotion erupted out there.

Well, at least she wouldn't have to wait long for her question to be answered.

She was blinded once again when someone else stepped in. She yelped when he roughly grabbed her by the hair, forced her up and outside. He roughly threw her to the ground, placing a foot on her back to keep her there.

She wheezed for air, glancing up from where she lay with her cheek grinding against the dirt.

She hadn't been able to see a lot in the dark of the night, but now she could. All she could think about when she saw them was Kaisog. They looked so much like the brother she still missed so dearly. Not just in color, but also very much in their firm posture and stern set of eyes. Men and women alike.

"What do you all think we should do with this rich girl? Only thing we cannot do is kill her," the young man who had manhandled her laughed.

She inwardly sighed. Why did she get a sense of déjà vu? At least they wouldn't kill her, although she wasn't sure that was much of a consolation.

"Jahar! We talked about this," a deep voice reverberated through the area. Even she stiffened. "Unhand that girl at once. Just because we are barbarians by name does not mean we should be by actions as well." He stepped through the crowd and his mere presence made the young man step off her.

She hardly noticed, though. All she saw was this man's eyes. As blue as the sky on a cloudless day. As blue as the sea. As blue as-

"Kaisog." She stared up at the man before her.

He tensed, looking down at her with those eyes. "What?" he quietly asked.

The more she looked at them, the more she realized these eyes weren't Kaisog's. They didn't look at her the same way. It wasn't the same.

"Sorry," she said, burying her face in the ground. For a short moment, it was as though he was right there. For just one moment.

She flinched when the man approached. He only crouched beside her, however.

"Why did you call me by that name, girl?" Although the words were harsh, his demeanor was so decidedly careful she could only answer.

"You remind me of someone, my lord." She glanced up at him again. Struck by how close he was.

His eyes weren't on hers, however. They seemed to be everywhere else. Her gown, her bleeding ankles, her hair, her skin. Until they finally landed on her eyes again, completely unreadable.

"Who are you?"

"I am a royal guest of the Fire Kingdom," she said, finding no reason to lie to him. "I am to be the future queen; princess Ciara Tarakona of the Dragon Kingdom."

Everyone, including the man, gasped at the declaration. She frowned when the young man, Jahar, backed away, stumbling over his feet. Even as he sat there on the ground, he still stared at her. Horrified and mouth agape.

Surely this couldn't be mere surprise? This had to be something else.

The older man didn't turn his eyes from her for one moment either.

"Someone, get a hold of Shalai. Her wounds must be cared for immediately," he called to the crowd. "I am sorry you have been treated this way, princess." He reached out to the rope at her wrists and cut them free with a small knife. "Please forgive us."

"What is going on? Did I say something?" She blinked. She had just been preparing herself for the end of the road. Her fate seemed entirely different now.

He chuckled, helping her into a sitting position. "Allow me to introduce myself." He bowed lightly by the hip. "I am Rashil Tao, Chief of the Barbarians."

Her mind blanked completely for a moment before jumping into gear.

"Tao? As in the Tao-clan? Our old allies?"

He nodded. "Yes."

That explained so much.

"That name you called me by-" he said, regaining her attention. "You know my nephew?"

"You are Kaisog's uncle?!" she asked, getting another nod. "He was like a brother to me. All these years, he never really left my side."

"Yet I have heard no mention of his name on the wind," he said. "You came alone to this kingdom."

She sighed, scratching the back of her head, flinching when her nails touched the sore spot.

"I did not come alone, Kaisog came with me," she told him. "But something went wrong; we were attacked and-" She paused, gulping. "Kaisog gave his life. So that I could keep mine."

Rashil sighed, averting his gaze to the side.

"He was a Tao-warrior no matter how far I distanced him from the clan. Till the very end," he muttered to himself. "Be that as it may, I am glad you are here now. I have been wanting to meet you for some time, but was not sure how," he told her with a careful smile.

She smiled back. This really wasn't how she had envisioned her day would go. Especially not when she'd been lying in that wagon.

Rashil got on his feet then, gesturing to someone a little away before turning to her again.

"Naturally, you are no captive of ours any longer, princess. We would be happy to help you back to where you need to be when your wounds have been dressed." He gestured to the approaching, elderly lady. Shalai, in all likelihood.

"Thank you so much, Chief Rashil, I really appreciate it," she earnestly told him. "However, I believe it best if I stay for a little while longer, if possible. My friend must already be on the way."

"You are free to stay as long as you like. You are always welcome here."