Chapter 17

She smiled widely at the sight of the lively square in front of her, packed tightly with people of all sorts, old and young alike. Children were running around in a game of tag, grand smiles on their faces. It was so filled with sounds it seemed like the air itself was mumbling to her.

Even when she'd arrived here that first day, it had been nothing like this. Although, they hadn't exactly taken the conventional route then.

She pushed the dark thoughts to the back of her mind and instead returned to the reality that was Crocus Port in broad daylight.

"This is so amazing. Look at all these people!" she exclaimed, when one of the stalls caught her eyes. "Oh, let us go and look at those." She pointed to the many hairpins lined up there. She grabbed hold of the nearest of her companions and dragged him after her.

Alex sighed deeply, not really all too excited with all the looks she was getting. "Ciara, we should return to the castle."

"The king will have our heads for sure," Elias muttered just loud enough for everyone to hear.

She turned to the two party-poopers behind her, trying to brighten their moods with a smile.

"Why do you worry so much?" she asked. "Surely even he understands it is far better you are here with me than if I went alone. Besides, it was my idea, not yours."

"Yes, that is true bu-" Elias started out until he was forced to keep quiet when she took hold of his wrist as well and dragged him after her.

"Come on. There is so much we have to see!"

Both guards let themselves be pulled along, Alex chuckling.

"Okay, okay, princess. We get that you cannot be stopped. You do not have to drag us."

She quickly let go of them both. "Ah, I am sorry about that."

As they continued ahead with her curiously eyeing every shop they passed by, Alex suddenly spoke up.

"I am sorry for asking, Ciara, but where are we going, exactly?"

"Anywhere." She knew nothing of this city whatsoever, but she figured if they just continued long enough, they would see something. Besides, if they got so lost they had no clue where they were, she knew Kaisog was keeping an eye on them from above the clouds.

Her reply made Elias sigh, which had Alex laughing.

"Might I suggest walking down to the pier and back? You will see much of what this beautiful city of ours has to offer," someone suggested just a little to the left of them.

It was a man around Alex' and Elias' ages with chin-length, light, brown hair swept behind his ears, a sharp jaw covered by a finely trimmed beard and enticing, brown eyes. And then definitely not of the common people around here, he was certainly a noble. His attire told her that much.

And she recognized this man. He'd been the one who had helped her the other day.

"Julian? What are you doing here?" Alex asked before she got a chance to say anything, surprise coloring his voice.

The man - Julian, apparently - broke into a broad smile at that. "I figured that was you, Alex. Got a promotion, I see."

Alex rolled his eyes, yet grinned confidently. "Something like that."

"You two know each other?" She looked between them alternately.

Julian nodded. "Oh yes, we go way back. Been neighbors for years, until he traded my wonderful company for that armor of his." He gestured to said armor with a grimace.