Chapter 45

The king had finally returned.

She could already feel the change in the Dragon Slayers. They weren't quite as brave as they had been. By no means silent, but she'd take whatever she could get at this point.

She'd been wanting to talk to the king about it. See if he had any ideas about what she could do differently.

So, Ciara had asked Chanti when she thought it would be best to ask and in which way. The maid had mentioned that the king had fewest meetings in the evenings and that he really loved tea.

They'd arranged it so that Chanti would quickly be brewing the tea while Ciara went to invite the king to his chamber, where they were most likely to get some privacy.

That was what they were doing right now, as it happened.

She reached the office, knowing him to be in there come evening. She gave the guard a light smile and received a light bow in return.

She reached up and paused for half a second before knocking on the door.

"Who is it?"

"It is Ciara, your majesty," she replied, her voice trembling.

"Come in."

She did as told and quickly opened the door, slipping inside. She noted that Narza stood there as well and feared she might've interrupted a serious conversation between them.

There was no turning back now, however.

"It is rare for you to come see me, princess." The king's steely eyes were honed on her. "Did something happen?"

She shook her head. "Nothing out of the ordinary, no." She fidgeted a little under the two firm sets of eyes directed right at her. Still, harsh though they may seem, they patiently waited for her to collect herself. "I- I wanted to hear if you would want to have a cup of tea with me, your majesty?"

The king's eyes grew wide. "Tea?"

She nodded. "Yes. There is so-"

"Unfortunately, his majesty will have to decline," Narza spoke up before she'd even really begun the sentence. "We have quite a few things that need to be taken care of for tomorrow still."

She let her gaze slide back to the king when he groaned, his eyes closed and two fingers massaged the bridge of his nose.

"Narza is right, I am too busy." His eyes slid open and met hers again. "But maybe some other time, princess."

She nodded, her movements stiff. "O-oh, yes. Of course," she automatically replied, already backing out of the room. "Good night to you both then, and I am sorry for the interruption." She hurried out, closing the door behind her.

Once out there, she released a heavy sigh. Nothing was really going right for her these days.

She trudged back to the chambers, wishing the guards a good night as well before going inside. Steaming hot tea stood on the kettle by the armchairs and sofa, the only proof that Chanti had been here at all.

That was, until she returned with a pair of cups to pour the hot beverage into. The poor maid jumped half a meter into the air in pure fright at the sudden, other presence in the room.

"Oh, Ciara! I did not see you there!" She had a hand to her undoubtedly beating heart.

Ciara mustered up a pathetic smile.

"I am sorry about that," she said, her voice almost monotone.

"No need." Chanti looked around. "Is the king not with you?"

The princess shook her head. "No, he was too busy."

"Oh, I see," Chanti muttered slowly. "Well, maybe we can catch him on a better day!" she said, unsuccessfully trying to cheer the princess up. "Should I take the tea, then?"

Ciara shook her head. "No, it is fine, I would like some for myself." She might as well now it was already made.

Chanti quickly poured a cup of steaming hot tea for the girl and handed it to her.

"Is there anything else I can do for you?"

Ciara shook her head again, breathing in the gentle fragrance.

"No, I shall be fine from here," she reassured the maid. "Thank you for all the help though. Even if it was not to be."

Chanti smiled back at her. "Anytime, Ciara," she assured her. "Well, good night to you," she said as she approached the hidden servants' door.

"You too," Ciara muttered.