Chapter 1

Ciara ran as fast as her feet would carry her, hefting up in her long skirts, an excited smile on her lips.

One of the many people, the girl so adored to live with, laughed as she saw her.

"What has gotten you in such a hurry today, Ciara?" she called, her amusement no less despite this being a frequent occurrence.

Ciara's smile widened even further at the sight of the rotund woman.

"I have to find Kaisog! It is urgent!"

The woman put her hands on her hips, shaking her head lightly.

"Why do I even bother to ask?" That was usually what it was for the blonde. "He should still be down by the grounds, training with the other guards."

Ciara pirouetted around to look back at the woman, running backwards. "Thank you!"

That was always where he was. She'd know; she'd known him since they were both mere children.

He was much like a brother to her, though he really wasn't. Before she could even remember it, Kaisog had been brought here by his uncle, since his parents had died. Her father, the king, had accepted, of course, their kingdom having been close allies with Kaisog's family, the Tao clan, for ages past. That was a long time ago; quite a few summers after her kingdom, the Dragon Kingdom, had been forced onto this remote island after the Great War. It had taken place long before she was even born - or any of her siblings, for that matter.

She could immediately recognize him when he came into sight – what with his much darker skin and black hair among all the pale skin and blondes the Dragon Kingdom was known for. His broad back was turned to her as he watched two other guards fight in the sky, each riding a dragon.

She'd always thought it looked so fun when they did that, but they'd never let her join. They claimed it was too dangerous for someone like her, even with how well she did with dragons. Really, it was only because they didn't want to face her mother, should she catch them.

Today she wasn't here to try to convince them, however. No, the news she brought was much more exciting and important.

"Kaisog!"

As she came to a stop right behind him, he turned to face her.

"Princess," he said, eyebrows raised. He was the only person on this entire island who stubbornly kept calling her that, no matter how much effort she put into trying to convince him otherwise. "Is there something you need my help with?"

They both ignored the anticipated laughs and comments from the other guards around them.

Taking a short moment to regain her composure and breath again, she sent him the smile she'd been wearing all the way over here.

"Have you not heard? Someone from the Fire Kingdom has come all the way here!"

The posted guards had spotted them coming a while ago and immediately reported to her parents. Which she'd naturally 'overheard'.

He looked at her with wide eyes and tense shoulders. "What? Why are they here?"

His expression echoed on the other guards, who also listened intently now.

"I do not know." She shook her head lightly. "Not to worry though, they are certainly not here to start a new war."

"How can you be sure of that, Ciara?" one of the other guards asked. Zelno, her sister's husband.

"Because they merely brought two ships. They should know that is far from enough if they wish to wage war against us."

A smile crept along Kaisog's face. "Correct you are, Princess. So, you want me to come along with you to see these Fire Kingdom visitors, I take it?"