Chapter 29

Ciara and Elias were walking towards the gates with Alex and Greg trailing after them.

"When do you think you will be back?"

Elias breathed out slowly. "It might be a long time from now or it can take just a single cycle," he said. "I wager it will be a while though, they live quite far away and it usually never ends quick."

She looked up at his tired expression. "You know, Kaisog or Sunrose would be glad to take you there and back, if you wish."

He shook his head. "I do not think my family would be happy if I arrived on the back of a dragon."

"You are right, they probably would not be." Her shoulders dropped a little.

The messenger the day prior had come here to tell Elias his family were calling him home as soon as possible. According to Elias, his family liked to keep tabs on what he was doing, and since it had been brought to their attention he'd become her guard, they'd called him home. Alex had also confirmed Elias did this from time to time and it usually took quite a long while.

"So, the usual, then?" Alex asked.

"Likely, if not even longer," Elias confirmed, then turned to her with a little smile. "I will be back as soon as possible."

She smiled at him. "I am keeping you to that promise, you know," she warned him. "We will be waiting for you."

"Well, then I guess I better come back," Elias said as the other two Royal Guards went behind him to open the gates for him.

She agreed with a bright smile and a nod. The knowledge that she'd see him before too long was the only thing keeping her from bursting into tears.

When he reached out to simply give her a handshake or something, she immediately pulled him in for a hug. Much to his surprise, as he stumbled into her arms.

"Take care of yourself, Elias," she told him, hoping he couldn't hear her voice tremble.

She may not have known this man for long, but it was clear to her now, that she'd come to care for him quite a lot already. It was probably no different with Alex or even Sergon.

He squeezed her lightly. "I will do my very best."

"While this scene you two are creating is extremely adorable, and I hate to break it up, I am afraid I must," Alex spoke up beside them. "Cannot have a jealous king, now can we?" He winked and flashed them a bright grin.

Elias turned to his fellow guard as the two separated again. "You have absolutely no boundaries, do you?"

"None in sight."

She shook her head at their banter and smiled at Elias again.

"See you soon, then."

He nodded, then awkwardly turned around, walking towards the gates and away from her. She pulled her robes closer around herself as she watched him leave.

"Is that your friend leaving?" she heard a silky voice ask behind her. Honestly, the woman didn't sound all that surprised by this turn of events. Unnervingly little. She seemed to know everything, always.

"It is," Ciara curtly confirmed, not sure she was up for whatever Victoria was plotting with this conversation.

"How sad for you." She didn't sound all that sorry. "You are losing yet another friend."

The blonde's eyes narrowed, though she never turned in the mistress' direction.

"I am not losing him. He loves being here."

Victoria huffed. "Then why is he leaving?" she asked, the question innocent enough, but the tone as toxic as any poison.

"Because his family called for him."

"Oh, really now?" Victoria asked with a smug smile. Ciara didn't have to see it to know it was there.

The younger girl sighed deeply. "Please excuse me, Victoria, I am not in the mood for this right now." She promptly turned away from the now closed gates.

"You are excused," Victoria declared from behind her with a little laugh.