Chapter 9

Hells, that princess really was no more than a young girl. How someone like her would ever become a 'proper wife' was beyond Lodin. The mess she'd already brought to his castle within a single day of being here!

He groaned silently to himself. He really didn't need all this extra work right now.

He'd soon made it to the throne room, seeing he was the last one to arrive.

"What is the meaning of all this, my king? I think I deserve an explanation at the very least," Arthas stated as soon as he saw Lodin. As usual, the old man likely already knew what this was all about - hence his anger.

Lodin remained silent even as he seated himself in the throne. Only when he was comfortable enough did he return the Commander's gaze and answer his rightful demands.

"As you may already know, the princess has finally woken up." He paused to give the old man a chance to speak his mind.

"How could I miss it? The whole castle has heard that beast's yelps and squeals." He snorted, the sound filled with the purest of disdain.

Lodin sighed. "The princess was brought to us, and once here, she told us some quite disturbing news," he said. "Apparently, your man brought her and her entourage into an alley where mercenaries had presumably been awaiting them." He raised a brow.

The old man's jaw visibly clenched underneath his graying beard, his eyes narrowing.

"Are you trying to say I am somehow linked to this girl's claims?" His tone was positively seething.

Lodin fell back in his seat, pushing the tips of his fingers together.

"Well, if I am not entirely wrong, I do believe you so kindly volunteered a man to escort her. Did you not?"

Though Lodin may be accusing the old man, he had little doubt about his loyalties. In whatever that man did, it'd always be for the better of this kingdom.

That, and letting the target escape on the back of a dragon was the move of an amateur - the one thing Arthas certainly wasn't.

Said man frowned deeply, his arms crossing across his broad chest.

"I will not lie and tell you I am pleased to see that girl and her beasts here, and neither are my men. However, I do also realize the value of this alliance."

Sergon mirrored the other Commander's position.

"Still, fact remains that one of your men led a royal guest to a band of mercenaries and killed her escorts. Are you certain your men's loyalties lay the same place as yours do?"

"Are you doubting my authority?"

"I believe what Commander Sergon is trying to say is that while you fight for the better of the Southern Kingdom, some of your men might be fighting for your less than subtle hatred for dragons," Narza quickly explained.

The dawning realization on the old man's face was almost funny to watch.

"All we ask you to do is inform your men of what they can and cannot do, no matter how they may feel personally," Lodin explained, finally dousing the old man's raging fires completely. "Princess Ciara is our royal guest. Any harm done to her is harm done to the kingdom."

Arthas nodded, shoulders visibly less tense than they had been just a moment before.

"Naturally. I will convey this to them immediately. This mistake will not occur a second time."

"I should hope not."

That shouldn't even have to be spoken out loud.

With that, the old man gave them all a meaningful nod before turning to leave the throne-room.

"Before you leave-" The old man halted. "There are two things I would ask of you."

Arthas turned around entirely, facing them again. "Yes?"

"One; if the man who 'escorted' her dares show his face in this kingdom, he is to be beheaded on sight," Lodin said. The Commander gave a quick nod - he didn't seem to be against this idea. "Second, we will be sending a search-team to find what remains of the princess' escort before this day is over. I would like to request you lend me a few of your men for this."

"If you do not mind my asking, how do you expect to find this place? Surely the girl would be unable and unwilling to go back there," the Dragon Slayer asked them. "Not to mention why you would want some of my men? This is usually not a job for the Dragon Slayers."

Why did the old man always insist on having Lodin spell things out, even when he already knew what was going to be said?

"Apparently, the princess is having the dragon show us the way."

"Of course she did." Arthas audibly sighed. "In that case, you will indeed be needing my assistance. I will put a group of men I know I can trust at your disposal within the hour," he said. "If that is all, I have a few misunderstandings to clear up and some treason to weed out among my ranks," he said and was then allowed to exit with a nod.

Lodin sighed heavily. The day had only just begun, yet he was already thoroughly tired. And the end of it all was nowhere in sight either.

"So, Lodin," Sergon spoke up, a certain, highly annoying note of conspiracy in his voice. "Did you manage to properly apologize to the princess?"

Through great restraint, the king managed not to roll his eyes at the fully expected question.

"Do you not have a few men to round up for this search as well, rather than gossiping here like some castle maid?"

Sergon lit up in a bright smile. "That has already been arranged for," he said. "So?"

"Yes, I talked with her and met the damn dragon, now would you please leave it alone?" Lodin snapped.

Sergon only smiled wider. "A wonderful girl, is she not?" He was definitely not leaving it alone as he'd been asked to do.

"Sure, but she is nothing more than that; a young girl. Basically a child still." The king grunted. As easily as she went to a dragon such as that one, there was no doubt she was incredibly naïve as well.

"While it is true she may be young compared to other kings' wives, you are likewise also extremely young for your position, your majesty," Narza reminded him. "As a matter of fact, there are only a few winters between the two of you - by far the smallest difference between a king and his wife in decades."

Gods, these two were being insufferable today.

"I am sure you are right, Narza," Lodin quickly said. "Please, let the next one in."