Chapter 43

Chanti hadn't been lying when she said Ciara might not even see the king at all - because she hadn't.

That first night, she'd been so nervous it was closer to morning than evening before she fell asleep. By then, she hadn't even seen his shadow. And when she woke up the next morning, he was nowhere to be seen either and the bed was cold. It was like he hadn't been there at all. Only, the guards outside the door had assured her he had.

That was how it'd been every day since. She didn't see him when she went to bed nor did she when she woke up. Nothing about her daily routine had changed - save for the fact she was in another room. The king had said nothing, so things must have been fine on his end as well.

She stepped outside the castle doors, the two guards in tow, to find the dragons. None of them were anywhere in sight, though.

"Do you two see them anywhere?" She looked around. It wasn't the first time the two of them made the disappearing-act like this.

Alex shook his head, squinting his eyes. "No. I do not hear them either." He sounded a little concerned, even if she knew he'd probably never admit to it.

Elias hummed lightly. "Perhaps they are simply out hunting again."

Ciara nodded. "Probably." Except then they would've been out hunting every single day.

She brought her hand to her mouth and released a long whistle, calling for them both.

The three waited in silent anticipation for anything to happen, knowing that the dragons were able to hear that just fine. So far, they'd never strayed any further than where they'd still hear if she called.

True enough, the familiar sound of Kaisog's thundering wings came fast approaching along with a black dot in the sky.

"I just do not get how this works every time," Alex muttered, making her smile broadly.

"Well," she started. "It is also partly because of how close we are."

While he looked to her strangely, Kaisog landed right in front of them.

She stepped closer and immediately laid her forehead against his in greeting and affection. She'd only really gotten one half of a whole, so she pulled back so that she could see into his golden eyes.

"Is Sunrose not coming?"

The big drake shook his head at that. Ciara frowned. Now, that was a little strange. They usually hardly left each other at all.

"Is she okay?"

The black dragon gave her a big nod.

"Then where is she? What is she doing?" she asked the seemingly very unconcerned dragon.

He did nothing to try to explain, only gave her a wide, toothy grin and a playful look. Usually, he would try mimicking something. Why was he being so secretive now?

"What do you think they are doing, Ciara?" Alex wasn't really trying to mask his worry now. It was no secret he saw the two as close friends. Just as she did.

"I do not think it is anything bad or dangerous. If it was, he would not be this calm," she slowly said.

"Could she not simply be back at the Dragon Kingdom to see your brother again? It has been a while since they have seen each other," Elias asked.

"Maybe." But if it was just that, why wouldn't Kaisog say? Besides, she doubted Sunrose would just leave so unceremoniously.

"Of course you three would be here," a familiar voice called out from a distance.

All of them turned to see Sergon approaching.

"Oh, Sergon. Did you need something?" It wasn't too often he approached her like this.

"In a sense." He sighed deeply, gathering himself. "I might have to borrow Alex and Elias for a while."

Alex spoke up while she gaped like a fish. "If you do that, then what will happen with her? It is not like the target on her back has gotten any smaller since we started this."

Sergon sighed. "We will be assigning someone else and less experienced in the meantime."

"It is not as though I am entirely defenseless, Alex." She looked up at Kaisog, who towered up beside her. He gave a quick yip in agreement, which was enough to silence Alex for a moment.

This time, it was Elias instead. "Why? What do you need us specifically for?" he asked; a rare show of unwillingness from him. She smiled gently.

It didn't seem to have quite the same effect on Sergon, though.

"We worry that war may be on the way, so we want all our strongest men ready and raring to go, should it come to pass. And to help train the younger recruits," he explained. "Besides, am I wrong to think you both have forsaken your training these last few seasons?" he asked with a lopsided smile.

"You are not, Commander," Elias confirmed before Alex could come up with any stories.

"As I thought," the Commander said. "We will need you both at your best - especially since I might have to leave for the borders with the king quite soon to check up on things. We need someone to take over in the meantime."

Alex sighed, ruffling his hair. "I understand." Elias nodded as well.

Seeing that, Sergon turned to her. "Would you mind having someone else assigned to you for the time being, Ciara?" He was letting her have the final say by the looks of things.

"No, I will be fine." She quickly shook her head. "Besides, it is not as though I will never see them ever again."

Alex grinned right back at her, letting his heavy arm land around her shoulders. "You could not be rid of us even if you wanted to, princess."

She giggled when Elias grabbed his colleague's arm on her shoulder and roughly tossed it away.

"Remember you position, mongrel."

She would miss them, but this arrangement wouldn't be forever.