"Sorry but we kind of heard everything in there - you were not being particularly silent."

She mustered up a little smile as well, though she felt her cheeks burn at the mention of it all.

"It is quite all right, you could not help but to hear all that." These two seemed very nice – even if the other one was mostly silent. "What are your names?" she asked as she pushed off from the doors, looking at the two alternately.

The one who'd given her the pat on the back earlier spoke up as the other one seemed a little stunned.

"I am Elias and that is Alex."

She nodded to herself, storing those two names in her memory.

"Can I ask one of you to show me the way outside? I am not really familiar with the castle yet."

Alex continued to look surprised. "Oh, yeah, sure. We can figure something out." He then looked at something past her. "Hey, Greg!" he called out to another guard, who walked down the hall. "You doing anything important?"

"Not particularly." 'Greg' shook his head and approached them.

Alex smiled. "Great. Would it be all right with you to stand guard here a while?"

Greg shrugged. "Sure."

Alex gave the guy's shoulder a pat. "Thanks, I owe you." He then looked at her. "Come on, princess, let me show you the way."

She smiled widely. It was nice with a little bit of warmth and kindness after all.

"Thank you, you are a lifesaver." She didn't miss the way he so easily matched his pace to hers either.

He smiled brightly at her. "No problem, I will always be ready to help a lady if she is in need," he proudly declared.

"Well, then I hope you will not mind my relying on you - if I am allowed to stay here after this," she laughed.

His smile faltered a bit. "Listen, you do not have to beat yourself up over this, princess. It will be fine, you will be allowed to stay. I am sure of it."

"I am not so sure about that. I was being very disrespectful."

"Maybe, but you were not the only one. He should not have yelled at you either," he argued. "Besides, I am sure Commander Sergon will scold him for that. He has really taken a liking to you, you know."

Ciara smiled. She hoped that was true. "Thank you, Alex. I needed that."

"And you know what? I have too now. Takes guts to put the king in his place like you did." He grinned "Just give him some time. Once you have broken his ice, he is really a nice guy," he promised her. "Or so I am told by the Commander, anyhow."

So, he didn't actually know if that was true himself, in other words.

"Well, I may not have had any success with it yet-" he paused to give her a dashing smile over his shoulder. "But, I mean, with your position and all, you likely have much more chance of it than I do."

"You might be right."

She truly hoped that was the truth. Otherwise she wasn't quite sure what she'd do.

Just then, they turned around a corner, leading to the sight of bright daylight streaming in through the large gates. The exact thing she'd been looking for.

Truly, this place was a maze like no other. She knew she couldn't find her way back to anything, even if she was threatened.

"There you go, princess. The grand outside!" He spread his arms out in a flowing motion as if it was something never before seen. He sent her a knowing look. "Please follow me, and we will find that dragon of yours."