Chapter 4

Carol's POV

I nearly screamed out of frustration when snow started falling.

"Are you serious right now?" I asked no one in particular, while looking upwards and extended my hand to catch a few snow drops.

I just let out a loud sigh and tried to book an Uber to take me home.

Then I noticed that I had two message notifications.

One from Sam, 'Things must be going well if you haven't called me yet' with a bunch of inappropriate emojies.

'You have no idea' I sent, not feeling like explaining how I got stood up right now.

The second one was from Nick, more than one text actually...interesting.

'How's your date going?'

'Does this mean our fake relationship building call is canceled tonight?'

'You had a real date, huh?'

'Okay I'll stop bothering you, text me when you can'

That was the last one.

I'm not sure why but seeing these texts from Nick kind of lifted my mood slightly. I replied 'Well actually, I got stood up. So I'm headed home now' I surprisingly told him easily.

*Ping*

I immediately got a response. 'Where are you?' He sent, and I looked at my phone with my eyebrows raised and texted 'Why, want to come to my rescue?' I joked even sending few laughing emojies but told him where I was regardless.

'I'm on my way' he sent then went offline.I looked at my phone with my head tilted and eyes slightly widened with disbelief.

'What is he planning?' I thought to myself and decided to book an Uber anyway not taking what he had sent seriously.

I walked across the road to get some sort of shelter from the snow and tried booking an Uber again but all I kept getting was 'No Drivers Available'.

"I'm really going through all sorts of tests tonight aren't I" I said out loud inhaling and exhaling to keep calm, not even know how to react to how the night was going.

With my purse in my one hand I tried using my free hand to rub my arm to get some sort of warmth while I tried to wait for some drivers to be available.

"I swear I look like some drunk lady who's lost her friends, who's crazy enough to dress like this in winter" I coughed.

"I was thinking you look more like some fancy homeless person" I recognized Nick's voice from the behind me and then after felt a coat being placed around me.

I turned around to face him, my mouth opened in shock. "You actually came? What are you doing here?"I asked him genuinely surprised but touched.

"I did say I was on my way" He answered simply while buttoning up the coat I was wearing which engulfed me with warmth.

"Thank you for the coat. I swear I was about to die from the cold" I said genuinely feeling grateful. He smiled down towards me and took off his gloves and beanie handing them to me, which I gladly took.

"No problem, as much as I dislike the cold, I'm pretty much used to it." He said finishing up "All good?" He asked just as I finished putting on the gloves.

"Actually, can't you wish me up some warm boots too? Then the percentage of how much I believe your whole Christmas story will increase to 40%" I asked him pleadingly while pointing at my feet which felt like they were almost going to fall off. I was half-joking but 100% serious.