Chapter 27 - End of An Era

The final chapters will be published all at once :)

-----

The skies were gray in the morning; overcast with rain-filled clouds. When Hizumi and Katsuki reached the cemetery, the sky started to cry sparsely. As though mourning with the pair. When they exited his car, Hizumi covered the ivory urn with her hand, hugging it close to her chest to shield it from the rain.

They trudged through the walkways, going down the familiar pathway to her mother's gravestone. Unlike the previous time they came to these grounds, the place was deserted. There weren't others mourning, nor whispers nor cries accompanying the pitter patter of the rain.

It was just her and him and the rain. Their footsteps in a rhythm and the rain in it's own chorus.

When they reached the bend with the bricked-in cherry blossom, Hizumi paused for a moment, pressing the urn closer, letting her tears fall with the tears of the sky. Katsuki's warm grip on her shoulder gave her the courage to step forward.

Inko's name was engraved into obsidian stone, Hizumi's was still beside hers in a similar fashion. She planned to replace it with her father's name when she has the grit to do so.

With a final kiss on the lip of her father's urn, she placed beside her mother's gray one. Gray like his eyes and like the skies over their heads.

And under the cherry blossom tree stood two souls, their cheeks stained with tears as they held their hands after years being estranged due to fate and circumstance.

Her parents were finally reunited.

-----

The morning remained overcast, the showers scattered and sparse all around. The rain made Hizumi more mournful, more anguished. And the hospital while the world was gray made her grief-stricken in such a way it made it hard to breathe.

After sharing a small conversation with Ochako on the night's accommodations for the kids, Hizumi shuffled into Izuku's room.

He still laid where he was last night when she saw him. Still surrounded by the web work of the hospital's machines. Except the web was less denser, and the hole in his chest was smaller. The doctors mentioned a person with a quirk could help with healing some wounds so his death was less painful, more comfortable.

But even after that, Hizashi's final blow was too damaging, and required Izuku to breath through a mask, to still have his heart have assistance with another machine pumping it every beat.

At least the symphony of the machines, even if they were dull and foreboding in sound, were reassuring. Reassuring that Izuku was alive. For the time being.

Hizumi sat in the rigid chair next to him, her hands sandwiching his free hand.

"I'm so sorry Izu-chan" She cried softly, her eyes puffy and red from the goodbye she gave this morning.

She felt his finger fidget in her grip, and her eyes met green jades peeking through viridian lashes.

"Hizu." Izuku whispered hoarsely, his eyes glowing with happiness as his lips curve upwards.

She shushed him quietly, like a mother does to a child when accidentally waking them up from a much needed nap. "Don't waste your energy," she murmured close to his ear. "You still got some more time."

He huffed with a playful roll of his eyes. He was still stubborn when at death's door. "It's 'kay. Wanna talk."

"Izuku." She breathed with tears pooling at her waterline. She closed them harshly, hiding behind her fringe as her hand clenched his tightly.