swimsuits

Swimsuits can be hell for trans people- especially if you're closeted. But here's what I've done that works well for me, and here's some other options!

What I do:
• I wear swimtrunks, a bikini top, and either a rash guard or one of those swim-tank-top-thingies on top of that.

Various options:
• a one piece with a rash guard/swim shirt on top.

• a full body suit

• a two piece with a tankini

• a once piece with swim trunks

• swim trunks + a tankini

• there's bathing suits that have little skirts built in at the bottom- these might be good for transfemm people with bottom dysphoria

• a speedo

• a company called underworks makes compression tops- aka a type of binders that are safe to wear in the water.

• using trans tape to tuck/bind is usualy safe to do while swimming! There's tutorials on how to do each.

• just swim in your clothes if you don't feel comfortable with a bathing suit. Just say you forgot a bathing suit or wearing one feels awkward.

• try different combinations! Swimsuits are so binary, that's what sucks about them. But trying different options and combinine different things to see what works the best for you.

Tips:
• if closeted and you want to get a rashguard/swim shirt- say it's to avoid the sun. It keeps the sun off your torso and keeps you cooler. It's a hassle putting sunscreen on that much skin each time you go in the water. (Also add in that you're trying to avoid skin cancer and that'll usualy do the trick.)

• if bying bathing suits that that feel comfortable in isn't an option becuase you're closeted, try to aim as close as possible with an option that you feel the most okay-ish with.

• Like for example if you're afab and don't want to wear a bikini, try aiming for a one-piece or a tankini. If you're amab and don't like wearing swim trunks, try and see if you can get slightly smaller ones that are slightly more form-fitting or neutrual colored ones. You can also try different swim shirts/rash guards if that's an option for you!

• shopping for bathing suits can be an uncomfortable and distressing experience for many trans folks. Having to undress completely and slip on bathing suits over and over again in a cramped dressing room isn't that much fun. If there's nothing you can do to change what you wear, try and make sure you're okay. If you know you're going bathing suit shopping and it'll be stressful, make sure to have some free time for yourself later that you can really relax and enjoy yourself.