how to style long hair

For those looking for how to manage it, or for closeted folks who can't get theirs cut.

Just so you know- hair isn't an indicator of gender! If you're nonbinary and want to have long hair, that's amazing! If you're transmasculine and want to have long hair- that's completely okay! there isn't a rulebook on "requirements to being trans."

Hats:
• if wanting to try and give the appearance of short hair, (for those who want to cut theirs but cant,) put your hair in a bun and tuck it underneath. You can then play around with your hair to give the appearance of messy bangs and make it look short.
• baseball caps also look really masculine.

Opt for a compromise:
• if you want to cut it and aren't able to get it fully cut, see if you can get it cut somewhat short-ish instead
• ask for a bob-length hair style
• see if you can get an undercut. Even with long hair, just putting it into a bun with an undercut looks pretty masculine.
• Opt to emphasize other parts of yourself. Try and wear things that make you feel comfortable as yourself, whatever those may be. It's different for everyone- baggy clothes, certain colors, a few special pieces of jewlry- anything and everything that makes you feel like yourself.

Styling:
• the cool thing about long hair is that it can be put into tons of different styles. One of the most simple is a ponytail- bunching up your hair in your hands and slipping an elastic over it.
• often just brushing your hair out can help lengthen it a bit and make it look softer.
• there's also braids, which can be complicated at first but once you get the hang of it, it becomes pretty easy. Practicing with pieces of thread or string can help to get the pattern down- take three sections of hair and overlap and underlap them in a braid pattern.
• there's lots of styling tips and tutorials on YouTube as well as the internet!

How to grow out your hair if you're not allowed to:
• say you're looking for a change in your appearance becuase you're tired of how it currently looks and want to switch it up a little.
• "I've seen someone else do it and it looked really cool so I was thinking I might give it a try!"
• say that you're looking to incorporate a new style and want to keep it long- such as metalhead, punk, etc.
• Try and dissuade getting a haircut. Just say "you're fine with how it is now," or "I'm just really busy lately and it's another thing on my plate,"