Seven

Playing pretend was never ____'s strong suit either.

"Do you think I'm cute?"

If someone asked how, exactly, ____ found herself on stage at the most popular club in grand line, her answer would be short and curt.

"Well, it's to late to check?"

Tequila.

"And I don't care- you've got your tongue against my neck!" ____ sung without shame into the mic, performing with the live band at Germa 66. Her hair was a wreck, and for once she wore normal clothes. Her style didn't really fit in, to be honest. All the other women were dressed in scanty dresses and half skirts, but ____ stood on stage in a pair of dark jeans and a black turtleneck, leather studded jacket over that. These were her 'nice' clothes. "Do you like my style?"

The crowd didn't really care, jamming out all the same. The mass of bodies hardly deterred ____, drink in hand as she belted the lyrics unabashedly. Normally singing brought out her shy side, but never when there was alcohol in the mix. Liquid courage was just that, erasing her inhibitions like graphite.

"Have you seen my shoes? 'Cause they've been ripped to shit from walkin' the world for you!" ____ bounced as she took a swig from her beer, but the song was coming to a close. "Ripped to shit from walkin' the world- ripped to shit from walkin' the world for you!"

The song slipped into another and she prepared to dismount the stage, but the face of a pink haired woman smiling paused her decent.

"Reiju!" _____ gasped, flushing a little. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to steal the show!"

"Well it's too late for that!" The Vinsmoke laughed, and with eager hands waved her back up. "Go on then! Keep going!"

"Are you sure?" ____ winced, face scrunching in unease. "Won't Ichiji be upset?"

"My brother can suck it." Reiju giggled, pink gloved hands eagerly pushing the darker clothed woman back on stage. "I'll take care of everything, sing for me!"

"If you're sure." _____ gave a lopsided smile, downing half her beer before taking her place back at the microphone. She cleared her worries with a shake of her head, and fell into the slower, rhythmic beat. "Right, right, turn out the lights- we gunna lose our minds tonight."

Somewhere along the line, she'd gathered quite the audience. Songs would change but she knew them all, and if Nami was there, ____ knew the pot would have grown. After a very fun and very passionate rendition of Smooth by Santana, she really had to call it a night. Her throat was a little raw and her feet ached from standing and dancing, her head wasn't spinning but she didn't want to push that limit. Not here, anyway.

She decided to idly check her phone as she strolled home, knowing the walk was going to take a while. To her surprise, she'd missed quite a few messages.

"Helllloo~?" She drawled, calling Heat back.

"Hey, do you wanna go out to drink?"

"That soundsss really great- but, I'm already smacked." She pouted a little, wishing she'd checked her phone earlier. "I'm not even going to make it home before daylight, I'm so fucking far away."

Her giggles made Heat blink, tilting his head in question.

"Where are you?"

"I just left Germa 66," _____ blew a raspberry, head lolling as she let her feet carry her away. "Unfortunately. That place really lives up to its reputation, I mean-"

"You got into Germa 66?"

"Yeah! Man, next time you really have to come with." ____ blew off his surprise, not really taking it into account. There was a scuffle on the other end of the phone. "Hello? Heat?"

"Sorry, master Kid fell out of his seat."

"Clumsy fuck." ___ giggled, but was cut short by her shoulder knocking into another. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry!"

"It's not a problem." The man smiled, light and pleased. "How have you been?"

"Huh? Shit, Drake, it's that you? Holy fuck, you've gotten old!" ____ slapped a hand to her lips in surprise, but X-Drake could only rumble a laugh. "That's not what I meant!"

"Relax, I see you haven't changed much since we last met." He turned, shoving his hands deep in his pockets. ____ completely forgot she was on the phone. "How's Law treating you?"

"We, uh, split up. He's still back with Caesar." ____ sighed, giving a shrug. "What about you? Last I heard you were working miracles for the marines."

"I... quit." The ginger man reluctantly spoke, making ____ frown.

"____?" Heats voice pulled her out of her stupor.

"Oh, Heat! Sorry, I'll call you when I get home okay? Okay, bye." ___ shoved her phone in her pocket and held out a hand to the older and taller man. "Wanna walk with me?"

"Sure." He took her outstretched hand, a soft pull of his lips lifting his expression. "How are you liking this area?"

"It's alright." ____ shrugged, sucking her teeth. "Lots of new friends, I guess. Much more active than Paradise."

"But...?" He pried, making her let out a pained noise.

"But I..." she cut herself short, idling swinging their conjoined hands. "It's... hard. Two months ago It was just me and Law against the world. Now it's just me."

"Did something happen?" Drake frowned deeply, brows coming to a sharp crease. There had been a time in his life where not much mattered, and ___ had found herself at his side. It wasn't a lot, but it was enough to make him care. "Do I need to snap his neck?"

"No! No." She laughed at his protective nature, remembering her vague time with him as a child. "No, we just decided it was in our best interests to go in different directions. We weren't even together, so I really can't complain."

"You weren't together?" Drake stopped abruptly, his face set in stark confusion. ____ jerked to a halt as well, looking up to him with large eyes. "I watched Trafalgar kiss-"

"I don't want to talk about it." ____ quickly interrupted, raising a single hand as if to push the ideas away. "Drake, I appreciate your concern, but what happens between Law and I isn't up for discussion."

"I could still beat him up for you." Drake offered, beginning to walk again. "Free of charge."

"If I wanted him beat, I'd do it myself." She giggled in response, falling into his side a little. "But that's enough about my shit, what are you doing for work now? Since you quit."

"I... uh... I work for Kaido."