"I really am sorry."

"I know," I gently nudge his shoulder with mine. "We're good. Don't worry about it."

We're paired up for an assignment, which gave us more of a chance to talk. Which is perfect because I want to pick up where we left off as friends.

"Do you know how Naomi died?" I ask him.

Nodding, he tells me, "She was murdered."

"So, I've been told. But how?"

"Sorry... I'm afraid that investigation was way above my head. I was told she died, but I wasn't told how or who caused her death."

"So, no one knows," I realize.

"No one but Naomi," he nods. "And she's not here to tell us."

"Did she die because of Sebastian?"

"Yes," he confirms. "She was promised to him, but they were forbidden to have one another until they were married. Only, they disobeyed. His father caught them in the act and Sebastian was forced to go before the council. Then they were both stripped of their power and banished here. Only, he didn't take his banishment well and he turned on her. Taking out his pain and his frustration on her until there was nothing left of her but a fragile shell. Then one day she was found dead."

Whenever Sam speaks of Naomi, he has the same look in his eyes Sebastian has. Which means he has feelings for her that appear to be just as strong as Sebastian's.

"You were in love with her too."

"There wasn't a guy who came into contact with her that wasn't," he tells me.

"Yet, it was Sebastian she returned feelings for."

"Unfortunately."

I got more information out of Samuel than I thought I would. Only, I don't know what to do with it. And now I have more questions. But the bell eventually rings, sending me to second period. And Sam and I go our separate ways.

When lunchtime rolls around, I make my way to the cafeteria. Moving to a seat next to Anna, I stop short when I hear Sebastian's voice inside my head. Looking over at his usual table, I find him watching me. His lips aren't moving, but he asks me to come sit with him and his friends. And at first, I hesitate. But after his repeated requests, I head over to his table and sit down.

"Ah... you decided to join us. Good." Crystal smiles.

"From now on, you eat with us, and you ride with us, okay? Think of us as your extended family," Isaac grins with pride.

"Thanks." I flash him a quick smile.

My gaze shifts to Sebastian because I know he put them up to this. He's heard me whine enough about it to know how much family means to me. And he wants me to know they're still my family.

Which... I couldn't ask for better friends.

"How's your day going so far?" Sebastian asks.

"It's been... interesting," I shrug.

Shifting my gaze to his, we stare at each other for a moment until I notice movement behind him. Because a woman in a hooded pea coat is standing outside the cafeteria window, staring at me. Slowly, I rise from my seat, and Sebastian turns to see what I'm looking at.

"Who is that?" Liz asks.

"I don't know," I answer. "But I'm going to find out."