Chapter Thirty-Three

Madison
Monday, October 1st

Louis was visibly on edge.

His eyes were hard and his jaw was clenched the entire time as he slammed doors, tossed belongings around, and walked heavy on his feet as he made sure he had everything he needed. I kept my distance, gathering any last minute items to shove into my suitcase. I kept my eye on him though, but never once did we even make eye contact. It's almost like he refused to look at me. We hadn't said a single syllable to each other since we woke up an hour ago. I was too scared to say anything, afraid he'd snap.

Louis' phone went off, notifying him of a text message. He pulled his phone from his slacks pocket and checked it. "Our ride is here," he said so bluntly before clicking his phone off and shoving it back into his pocket. He grabbed both of our suitcases and disappeared without another word.

I grabbed my phone and purse and then made my way downstairs to the kitchen to grab a muffin and a water that was set out for both Louis and I from one of his maids or whatever.

Louis' voice suddenly echoed through the house, as if he was speaking to someone on the phone. I took a peek around the corner as I bit into the blueberry muffin. He was coming right towards me with phone-to-ear. "We're staying with her parents for a week, so I'll be in New York by next Monday. Let me know who will be in charge of Clifford so I know who to keep in touch with." His eyes finally met mine, but when they did I went tense. He was quite intimidating.

I quietly ate my muffin while he finished up his phone call. I tossed the wrapper away once he hung up. "Is there anything I can do before we leave?" I asked, cracking open the bottle of water and taking a swig to clean my palette.

"No. Get in the car."

He sounded bitter and I didn't know why, but I decided it would be best just to obey orders rather than test him this morning. I grabbed my bag off the counter and made my way straight to the car that waited outside for us.

Once I was in, I sat there for a good twenty minutes before Louis decided to join me. He placed his laptop in the seat between us and his phone on top before strapping himself in. "Do you have everything?" He asked, eventually looking up at me.

"Yep!"

"Toiletries? Clothes? ID's? Phone?"

Oh. I opened my purse and patted my pockets and then realized I had left my phone on the kitchen. "Oh shit, I left my phone on the kitchen counter. Let me just-"

"You have been sitting here for twenty minutes and didn't make sure you had everything!?" He snapped.

"I'm sorry, I thought I had—"

"Enough!" And then he was unbuckling his seatbelt and moving to get out.

"Louis, I can get-"

"No! Stay!" Then he was out of the car and slamming the door shut.

Am I a fucking dog now!?

I sat there in astonishment.

"A bit on edge about the flight to meet your parents, I'm guessing?" The designated driver asked. I made eye contact with him in the rearview mirror. He had an eyebrow quirked.

I sat back in my seat feeling defeated. "I have no idea. He's been like this all morning..."

He only hummed in response.

Louis came back out with my phone in hand. Once he climbed back in he just tossed it into my lap. Another man followed after but got into the passenger seat. I guess he was in charge of packing the belongings in the trunk. "Do you have everything now?" Louis asked.