Chapter 34 || Been There, Done That

𝐑 𝐎 𝐒 𝐀 𝐋 𝐈 𝐄 ' 𝐒   𝐏 𝐎 𝐕

"Boston has the best donuts."

Cara moans as she stuffs her face with Boston crème filled donuts, and I reach over to take the box from her to prevent her from eating anymore before we get to the radio station. She pouts as I do, reaching her arms out and I hold the box away.

"Well, they are called Boston crème donuts for a reason," I tease, and she rolls her eyes. "If I let you eat all of them now, Kendrick will kick both our asses. You know he gets cranky without a donut this early in the morning."

"You're just trying to get on his good side," Cara points out and I shrug my shoulders.

"Can't hurt."

"So, are we going to talk about it?" Cara questions, as she brushes the crumbs off her hands.

"You missed a spot." I point to her face where she has some of the crème around her mouth, which she wipes off. "Talk about what?"

"Rosalie."

The sternness in her voice doesn't go unmissed and I sigh before turning towards her. Stopping in the center of campus as people walk around us.

"Do we have to?" I ask, as avoid until possible is my go-to option with this topic.

She nods her head. "It's been a week."

Turning away, we carry on walking through campus and towards the radio station in order for the show. A week has passed since the professor told us only one of us could be an intern next year and Roman and I's fight.

Another week and we'll hand in our work, and he'll decide who he's keeping on. Since Roman and I haven't been spending any time together and avoiding each other. My week has consisted of lots of work, binging tv shows and spending more time with Cara.

"I guess I thought that stuff like this wouldn't come between us because I thought we meant more to each other than these stupid petty competitions." I sigh. "I shouldn't have expected so much though."

"You were falling for him?" Cara asks, and I nod my head, smiling weakly. She wraps her arm around my shoulders. "If it's any consolation, I think he was falling for you too. I mean he was touchy feely with you, you guys acted like you were a couple."

"We're both stubborn, and this internship means a lot to both of us. I was stupid and told him he shouldn't go for it because he has hockey, and I should get it. But I know how much biochem meant to his grandfather and to Roman," I explain. "What does Miles say?"

"Miles says that Roman is doing what you're doing. Ignoring the situation until he doesn't have to, anymore. He's been training more, at the gym more, studying more." Cara shrugs as she opens the door to the radio station. "Basically, you're both miserable yet won't admit it or cave."

"The mature thing to do is let the professor pick who picks and we both accept it. There's a lot of history between us with the fact we despised each other for such a long time. It's in our nature to argue and compete with each other," I state as we walk into the recording booth, and I hand the donuts to Kendrick.

"Did you stop her from eating them all?" Kendrick asks me, and I nod my head. "You're on my good side today."

"Oh, thank you, your majesty," I curtsey, and Cara laughs as Kendrick rolls his eyes.

"Kendrick, we need a male's opinion and you've been with that many guys. You probably understand how other guys think now too." Cara looks at me before turning back towards him.

"Let me hear it." He sits down at the corner of the table with all the equipment on.

"You know about Rosalie and Roman, her lab partner, right?" Cara questions and he looks at me.

"The hot hockey player who you've been sleeping with, yes I'm aware." He nods his head and I look at Cara.

"Do you gossip about my life a lot?"

Cara sheepishly smiles before waving me off. "Just sometimes. Anyway! They're both competing against each other for this internship and she nor Roman are backing down. So, they're kind of in a fight and Rosalie told him he has hockey, so he doesn't need it."

"Well, considering you've argued for so long, I'm not surprised. But guys don't like being told they can't do something, they want to prove they can do it. On the other hand, Lia hates that too, so she also wants to prove herself," Kendrick explains. "I guess it's just a matter of who caves first."

I scoff. "Everyone will be waiting a very long time for that."

❈❈❈

"So, your professor is only keeping one of you on?"

Mom's question comes through the laptop as I am on facetime with her while I cook in the kitchen of my apartment. She sits in the office she has in the house, while she works on a journalism piece for the new vogue issue.

"Yeah," I sigh, as I grab my spices to add it into the pan of my chicken stir-fry.

"Is that all you're upset about?" Mom raises her eyebrow and I look at her through the screen before my jaw drops.

"Aaron told you! That dick," I mutter.

"I got it out of him. Your dad is oblivious though." Mom waves her hand, and I am thankful for that.

"Aaron is seeing someone called Lucy," I out him just like he did me.

"Oh, I know. He left his phone about, and I saw the texts. You should know by now you can get everything past your father but not me," Mom reminds me, and I nod my head.

"Things were going well, but now we're back to not talking and not wanting to be around each other." I plate up my food before moving my laptop to the breakfast bar so I can eat there.

"How did you do it? I know you were always focused on your degree and that can't have been easy with dad being older and traveling. I know it's different, but," I ask mom for advice.

"There are times you have to sacrifice. I'm not saying sacrifice this internship. I'm saying maybe put your stubbornness that you got from me to one side and be the bigger person and apologize," Mom says, and I sigh.

"How are you always right?" I ask her and she laughs.

"It's a talent, one from many years of kids and dealing with your father...and Dylan." Mom shakes her head and I chuckle. "You know if you two make up, I want to meet him. Mostly I want to see your father's face when you tell him you're dating a hockey player."

"I'm worried he'd be in shock and wouldn't be able to move," I hum, and mom nods her head. "Dating is hard."

"Oh, baby. Been there, done that, it's your time now."

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

𝐀 𝐔 𝐓 𝐇 𝐎 𝐑   𝐍 𝐎 𝐓 𝐄

 A bit of a shorter chapter today, don't worry Monday's update will be longer. I would be double updating, however, there are only five chapters left of the story and then three bonus chapters which seems like so little! The book will be completed in four weeks! Which seems like a lot of time but for me it's going by so quickly!

Q: who do you think will be the one to apologise?

Also you'll see Roman's POV in the next chapter! 

Also you'll see Roman's POV in the next chapter! 」