Chapter 3 || This Means War

𝐑 𝐎 𝐒 𝐀 𝐋 𝐈 𝐄 ' 𝐒   𝐏 𝐎 𝐕

𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐃𝐚𝐲 𝐄𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐫...

"How much longer do you think it will take before our landlord fixes the kitchen sink?"

A frown pulls at my lips as my thoughts go to the incident this morning in Cara and I's apartment. My wrinkly and now fragile book sitting in my bag that is slung over my shoulder is a testament to this morning's sink explosion. Cara's nails tap against her crossed arms as her head peers over the head of the students in front of us as we wait for our drink orders in the coffee shop on campus.

Quiet chatter flows through the coffee shop. Aside from the waiting line for drinks, the rest of the coffee shop remains rather empty. Most of the chestnut stained tables are free from any students, but then again, this is one of the quieter coffee shops on campus. One of Cara and I's regular places in-between our classes and when we're on campus.

"At this rate, you'll have to somehow waterproof your books," Cara scoffs at the lack of work from our landlord, as this isn't the first time it's happened. "You should let me go talk to him."

The barista calls our name and I pat Cara's shoulder sympathetically as we step up to collect our drinks from the circular counter that sits in the dead center of the coffee shop. "I'd rather not get kicked out of where we live, thank you very much. Your New Yorker attitude can scare people."

We head to an empty table near the large windows of the coffee shop that faces onto the main area of campus. Covered by cobblestone walkways, benches and trees that hang over the area. Sitting down opposite each other, Cara immediately dumps sugar into her drink.

"You've talked to him, and with that relaxed LA attitude you sport, it's no wonder he hasn't come to fix it." Cara sips her coffee, her face relaxing at her coffee fix for the day.

"But isn't that why our friendship works so well?" I pout, and she chuckles, shaking her head. "I don't know who scares me more, you or your mom."

Cara's eyes widen. "Definitely my mother. She even scares me."

"How is she?" I question as I carefully take out my barely still together book and put it on the table, ready to sit and read in the quiet area, when Cara heads off to her class.

"She's dating some new guy, but I know that won't last long." Cara rolls her eyes at the regular occurrence that happens and has happened ever since her dad left. "Your family?"

"Mom and dad have their hands full with the twins," I explain, referring to my six-year-old brother, Lucas, and sister, Millie. "Which is good. They can keep my mom's mind off missing Aaron while he's busy keeping his clients in line since it's football season. Often he has to fly out to wherever they're playing."

"Your older brother is the hottest sports agent I've ever seen," Cara hums dreamily. "But then again, with both of your parent's genes, I'm not surprised. Do you think they've considered adopting me?"

I laugh. "You know they would in a heartbeat. They love you."

"I am very lovable, aren't I?" She smirks, shrugging her shoulders.

"Humble too." I bring my latte to my lips, and she waves me off.

A hand being shoved in the middle of Cara and I makes us jump back. A phone rests between us, facing Cara's way, and I flicker my eyes up, seeing Octavia standing at the side of our table. Her lips pressed into a thin line and her forehead tenses as she glares at Cara and waves the phone in Cara's face.

"What in the world does this mean?"

"Hi Tavia, it's great to see you too." Cara smiles sweetly as she rests her chin on her palm, looking up at Tavia, before Cara pushes the phone away from her face.