When there was no answer after a few minutes, my smile faltered. My brows furrowed and I knocked again.

"Aria...?" I said softly, keeping my knuckles pressed against the door. I leaned forward slightly, putting my ear up to the door.

Nothing. No movement, not even a little shuffle.

For some reason, a deep panic set in my chest. Immediately I tried the door.

Locked.

"Aria," I said a bit louder, jiggling the door. Still nothing.

I cursed under my breath, my face nearly falling into a frown as I quickly manipulated the lock to open. I twisted the knob quickly, shoving the door open.

"Aria-!" Immediately I froze in place, my lips sealing shut at the sight before me.

There she was...curled up in bed. Her hair was fanned out around her, some falling into her face. Now that I was inside the room, I could easily tune into her heartbeat.

The relief her safety brought me was something new entirely.

I let out the breath I'd held to stop my outburst, stepping forward a few paces so I was in front of her. I lowered to my knees, brushing the hair from her sleeping face.

Her fingers were curled around the covers, the fabric bunched up in her knuckles.

I let the back of my hand glide across her cheek, then brushed my thumb across her cheekbone. Her soft breaths were even and calm, and her face was flushed.

Cried herself to sleep, I assume.

"Hm..." I let out softly, pursing my lips, "I can't have you being sad all the time, little love..." I mumbled.

Perhaps I'll take her to town. I know she's familiar with the area...but so am I. There may be still something she's yet to see.

My eyes widened when she stirred, her relaxed face scrunching slightly as she began to wake up.

"Mnn..." the soft noise left her mouth, her lips pressing together. She blinked a few times before her eyes met mine. Her pupils dilated, but she wore a scowl on her face.

"Why are you watching me sleep, weirdo," she grumbled, pushing herself up slightly.

I rolled my eyes, "I've been sitting here for 5 minutes, I came to check-" my words caught, and I quickly bit my tongue. My blood seeped across my tongue but the wound quickly healed and I corrected my slip up.

"I came to make sure you weren't...breaking anything."

In her own room, Alastor? You ditz.

She tilted her eyebrow at me, shaking her head, "god, you're so weird," she said under her breath.

She then sighed and pushed her hair back, "how long was I asleep?" She asked me, looking over.

I looked up in thought, she stopped crying at about 10 am...it's maybe 12:30 now, so...

"About two and a half hours, dear," I said with a smile. She sighed again.

"Well, do you want to do anything? I don't have much in the house," she admitted and stretched. Her little body produced several concerning cracks and I winced.

"Well dear," I said after I shook off her action, "I was thinking we could go into town, maybe look around? I know you know the scenery, but I'm sure there are some things I could show you," I grinned at her and she gave me an up and down look.

"No offense, Al," she started, "but you can't go into town looking like a harbinger of death," she said simply.

I chuckled, and instead of answering her I stood up and snapped my fingers. Smoke clouded my vision for a moment before clearing and revealing my human form.

I was still wearing my normal smile, but her expression was not what I expected. Her eyes widened, and the immediate increase of her heartbeat is what I heard first before smelling the intense emotion coming from her body.

Fear.

My look faltered and I looked down at myself. Ok, I look normal...why is she afraid?

I took a step towards her and she used her arms to drag herself backward, closer to the opposite side of her bed.

"Dear, what is the matter? How are you more scared of this form than my demon appearance?" I asked her curiously.

"I didn't watch your demon appearance gut a man while he was still breathing." Her shaking voice cut through me like a knife. My entire body froze.

I looked over my hands, the skin a soft lively brown and no claws to be seen. I flexed my fingers, sighing softly.

"...May I come near you? Let me ease your nerves..." I said softly, my eyes meeting hers. They were wide and scared, just looking back at me.

Slowly the tension in her body lessened. She looked at me a moment longer before nodding.

I took a few more steps forward, stopping at the edge of her bed. Sitting down, I went over what I was about to do in my head.

If it eases her nerves...it's worth it.

She watched me curiously, then her eyes widened when I opened my arms to her. She stared at me dumbly, and I rolled my eyes.

I flexed my fingers in a "come here" motion, keeping my arms open. She blinked and then her mouth formed a little line before she crawled over to me.

She took the hint of what I wanted her to do, crawling into my lap. I lowered my arms around her, holding her gently.

Her body pressed into mine, her heartbeat thumping so hard I could feel it against my chest and smell her blood. The fear was still rolling off of her.

I ran my fingers down her hair, brushing it out gently. Her hands were against my chest, her face pressed into my shoulder. I turned my head slightly, putting my lips by her ear.

"Calm down...I'm not going to hurt you..." I said quietly, still running my fingers over her spine and through her hair. The fast heartbeat in her chest slowly calmed, and she took a deep, heavy breath.

Her hands slipped from my chest around my back, pressing me closer to her and returning my hug.

"There we go..." I said softly, a genuine smile reaching my face. I didn't hate this as much as I thought I was going to.

Now that she's relaxed, we can get going.

"Ok, you ready to go, now?" I asked her, and she nodded into my shoulder.

However, her body didn't move, and I just sat still, waiting for her to get up.

She didn't.

Okay...I suppose we can sit like this a little longer.

The feeling of her warmth against me made a weird feeling buzz in my stomach. A faint heat rose up my neck and to my face.

She pressed her face a bit more into my shoulder, almost snuggling into me. I just looked down at her, a relaxed expression on my face since she can't currently see me. My arms wrapped a bit tighter around her.

Just a little longer...