Chapter 31: Hot Summer Nights

As Maverick sped his motorcycle down the road, I was overjoyed. Hanging out with my boyfriend on his motorcycle was amazing. Plus, Maverick's motorcycle was like no other. His motorcycle was red, fast, and stood out in the night. I can completely understand why Charlotte enjoyed motorcycle rides with Maverick.

We were speeding down the road for a bit, and I felt like Maverick was taking me somewhere. Where? I don't know.

"We going anywhere?" I asked as we continued speeding down the road.

"In fact, yes," Pete replied. "I need to show you something cool."

"Really? What is it?"

"It's a surprise!"

A surprise? Interesting....

Nothing was happening for a bit. Nighttime in Miramar is so quiet that you can't even hear the crickets chirp from the grass. You can sometimes hear the ocean waves, but most of the time you can't. It was strange, but I liked it.

It was a perfect time to go on a motorcycle ride. The cool wind slashed my face like a knife, and the motorcycle engine noises slightly hurt my ears.

But with Maverick, it was perfect.

Almost four minutes later, we started to approach an airport. I quickly recognized the airport as Air Station Miramar, where Maverick flies. Even at night, the station was thriving. I swore to God the jets were still flying, even this late at night.

Maverick carefully pulled up his motorcycle by the end of the runway and slowed down to a stop. Now, we were sitting there, staring at the runway and the lights surrounding it to help guide airplanes landing in the dark.

"This is where we were going all along?" I asked quietly.

Maverick nodded, and suddenly grabbed my hand. "Wait until you see this," he said.

"See what?"

"Just wait for it."

Maverick was staring up at the sky like he just saw a UFO. Was he waiting for a jet to fly in? What are the odds of us seeing that?

"Maverick, what are we waiting for?" I whispered.

"Madison, just wait. You'll see."

Just wait. It was hard for me to wait for something. I'm that type of person who can be impatient sometimes. This time, I was really impatient.

What did Maverick want to show me?

Just wait, you'll see...

Maybe if I think about my future life with Maverick, time will pass by quickly....

I closed my eyes and tried to think of my future life with Pete, but it didn't seem to help at all. I tried to think of our honeymoon, our children, our vacations... but I didn't feel anything.

It didn't feel complete—as if a piece were missing. My fantasies of Maverick and I being soulmates are feeling more and more like just that... fantasies.

It doesn't feel possible anymore. Our lives are so, so different. Besides, he's getting married to Charlie.

Deep inside, I knew that after Maverick's marriage our relationship would never be the same. I would move back to Florida, where I'd keep studying turtles until my dying breath. I'd find a nice-enough man to spend the rest of my life with, and I'd be perfectly content. I'd spend Saturdays building sandcastles with my children instead of riding Maverick's motorcycle with him down the highway. Wrapping my hands around his waist, smelling the salty sea air...