Chapter 30: Hollywood's Secret

(Quick before you read: I have good news! I finally got an editor! Now, I might post my chapters earlier and my writing is a little better. Cool, huh? Well anyways, enjoy!)

When I opened my eyes in the morning, the sun blinded me. I gasped when I realized that I slept all the way through the night without waking up. I guess the pills are working—I didn't have a single nightmare. This time, I had happy dreams. The type of dreams I needed.

Last night, I had a dream that Maverick and I were all grown up, married with five children. Yes, five. We were living in a beautiful house by the ocean. Maverick and I were watching our children play. They were riding on tricycles, talking with each other, running around, and laughing for no reason.

Everything was perfect.

In the dream, I kept staring at the wedding ring on my finger and blushing. Eventually, Maverick took my arm and we ran out towards the ocean. Hearing the waves crashing up against the sandy shores, Maverick suddenly cupped his hands around my face and kissed me. They were soft kisses, and in that moment my dream felt like reality. I was so incredibly happy, and in that moment my world was complete.

But then my mood changed once I woke up in the morning and realized that it was all a dream.

Hey, at least it wasn't a bad dream, right? It was a happy one, ending with Maverick kissing me under the sunset. At least it wasn't that strange dream about the high school dance that always ended with me getting killed by Charlie...

...Charlie...

Oh no. Charlotte Blackwood.

The only thing I had to worry about was Charlotte. If she found me making out with Maverick, I would be in danger. With Charlie acting strange and remembering the house fire yesterday, I thought only one thing: what if Charlie did it?

I was shocked and intrigued by the house fire. Who did it, and more importantly, why?

Charlotte, for some reason, was my biggest suspect. Maybe it was how nonchalantly she reacted, or maybe my jealousy of her relationship with Maverick was making me. Charlotte was trusted by the Pentagon, and I really don't have a reason to suspect her. After all, she was my best friend. She loves everyone at Top Gun as much as I do.

Why would she burn Stinger's house down?

I stretched out my arms and got out of bed, yawning even though I slept like a baby all night. I was exhausted but also hungry for breakfast, so I figured that I should get ready for the day.

At least I'm going out to dinner with my friends tonight.

Almost the entire time I was getting ready that morning was spent thinking about Iceman, Charlotte, and for some reason, Viper. I pondered about the house fire and who could've possibly caused it. My biggest suspects were Charlotte and Iceman. Iceman's feelings about me keep changing constantly, which is quite strange. Besides, the amount of danger that always shows in his face makes me feel as if he's up to something....

But Iceman was, without a doubt, innocent in this situation. Even though his facial expression was always stern and serious, that's normal for him. He was a Navy pilot, and they are intimidating because they need to be a powerful image for their country.

I shook my head. I need to forget about my personal biases and focus on what makes the most sense.

It's kinda obvious that Charlie would be on my suspect list. Even though she was nice to me, I never saw her as much as I used to. Plus, she had been acting strange and withdrawn.