Chapter 6: The Breakup

(Before we begin, I'm just going to say this: if you happen to find this story copied and pasted on another website (Ao3 for example), please let me know immediately! I know that can happen, and I don't want my story to be copied (because it's all rights reserved) so yeah.)

I was pacing around my front door, waiting for Charlotte to arrive. I invited her over to stay at my house for the night so I can get to know her a little more. Yes, I might've said that a million times, but I still have to know more about her. To me, Charlie seems like a friend from the other side; she's very mysterious and sometimes cunning. I have to know more about her. It would be a rude thing if you made a friend yet never talked to them.

C'mon, c'mon... I mumbled to myself as I kept pacing around the family room. I looked pained as I waited for her to arrive. I didn't want to make Charlotte seem like a stranger any longer.

Wait a minute. What about Maverick and I? Does Charlie know that I'm hanging out with her fiancé? What if she knew? Well, if she knew, would she be fine with it? Was she fine that Maverick and I are friends, or is she jealous...?

Within a few minutes, I heard a knock at the door. That must be her! I thought. I opened the door and saw a beautiful girl with short blonde hair standing on my doorstep, holding onto a duffel bag. I knew, without a doubt, that the woman is Charlie. I sighed in relief knowing that she was finally here.

"Hey, Madison!" Charlotte said cheerfully.

"Hi, Charlotte!" I said. "I'm glad you could come!"

Charlotte made her way inside my house and shut the door behind her. She hung her pilot jacket on a nearby coat hanger. I yawned; I was already in my pajamas and I was really tired. Charlotte turned to me and saw how tired I looked.

"Let's go upstairs so we can change," she said. "Well, maybe just me because you're already in your pajamas, so—"

"Yeah, you can change upstairs," I said. "Then we can sit in bed, watch Netflix, and do all that fun stuff."

"Sounds great! Let's go so I can change."

Charlotte grabbed her duffel bag and I followed her upstairs. As I stared at her back, something suddenly came to my mind: the date. When I was at Dunkin and I was using the bathroom, the small stall was already occupied. And the woman who was in the stall was wearing the same shoes as Charlie! Now, Charlotte has her shoes off at the moment, but what if the woman in the stall was actually her?!

No. What am I thinking? I'm crazy. How could it be her....

When Charlotte and I got upstairs, I led her towards the master bedroom. It was where we were sleeping tonight. Charlotte looked around the bedroom and told me it was fine to stay in overnight. She then headed over to the bathroom to change. I followed her inside so I could also use the bathroom.

I sat on the toilet as Charlotte changed into her pajamas. It was fine to see Charlotte naked; we were both woman and it didn't matter. Charlie donned a pair of light pink pajamas and pulled out her hairbrush. Just before she started combing her hair, she took off a shiny diamond ring that was on her ring finger. Just by staring at it, I could tell what it meant.

"Umm, you have a beautiful engagement ring, Charlotte," I said without getting jealous.

"Thank you!" Charlotte replied gracefully.

"Maverick sure is good at finding good engagement rings. That one is incredible!"

Charlotte seemed to be struggling with combing her hair as I tried to stay calm and innocent. I didn't understand why Charlie had to comb her hair; it was already short and naturally wavy. I tried not to get jealous over seeing her engagement ring. I wish it was on my finger instead of hers. I thought I was more right for Maverick, and Charlotte wasn't. I probably shouldn't have wasted my time every time I traveled here to search for Maverick by simply just relaxing and doing nothing but walk the entire day.