Chapter 5: Liar

Maverick was having trouble paying attention. He was at training inside a training facility, where Charlotte was talking about how to control missiles on the Tomcats, the type of jet Maverick and his friends fly. He thought it was a coincidence that Charlotte was his teacher when he first met her, but then he thought it was a cool thing, and now he thought it meant trouble. Maverick saw a Dunkin Donuts coffee cup on the desk, and he knew, without a doubt, it was Charlotte's.

But that wasn't it. The whole reason he was having trouble paying attention was because he was too busy thinking about Madison. She was a cute girl; she was very awkward and smart. But Charlotte... she was just simply smart and beautiful. She would be mean here and there, and there wasn't a single drop of awkwardness in her blood. Maverick had a feeling that Madison seemed better than Charlotte, but he didn't think it was right.

Also, every pilot in the room was staring at Charlotte romantically. Some of them smiled in creepy unison. Should he just make one of them Charlotte's man?

No. He didn't want to do that.

"We will be dealing with F5s and A4s as our mix simulators," Charlie said to the class. Maverick tried to pay attention to what she was talking about, but he was struggling to. As Charlotte was talking about F5s and A4s, Goose began talking to Maverick.
(I'm copying dialogue from the original movie bc I'm bored.)

"Heard you went on a date with Maddie this morning," he whispered quietly so Charlotte wouldn't hear him. "How did that go?"

Maverick sighed. "Not as expected." He whispered back. "We got into a fight because I thought Madison was creepy, but I realized she was just flirting with me."

"Aw, give her another chance if you blew it," said Goose. "It can take a while for two people to know they love each other. And you can't always get her first try."

"I didn't even try to love her! I just wanted to be her friend, ya know...."

"Now, as most of you know, the F5 doesn't have the thrust to wait ratio that the MiG-28 has...."

Along the way, their second instructor, Jester, was passing out papers to the pilots. Some of the papers were about the Tomcats and some of them were just plain blank papers. What are these used for? Maverick thought. He didn't care, and tried listening to Charlotte again.

"...And it doesn't bleed energy below three hundred knots, just like the MiG-28..."

Maverick donned his pair of sunglasses. He was trying to think about Charlie more than Madison, and he wasn't paying attention to what she was saying.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, Maverick felt a piece of paper hit his shoe. He looked down and realized a small paper airplane was sitting there. He grabbed it and opened it up. It read this:

How did the date go?

Maverick looked around the room to see who wrote the note. He suddenly spotted Iceman sitting in the row across from his, smiling and waving. He realized Iceman must've wrote the letter. So, he wrote down on the piece of paper:

Not as expected.

Maverick folded it back up and threw it back to Iceman. Iceman caught the paper and drew something on it. He threw it back.

Oh, that doesn't sound good. What happened?

Maverick wrote down his response.

We got in a fight because I thought the girl was creepy.

He threw it back to Iceman. Iceman wrote something else down.

Give her some time, she was probably just flirting with you.