7. Mouthwashed

"So Brett, have you decided on a piece you will let me read?"

"I beg your pardon, Eddy?"

Brett and Eddy stood side by side outside the Taiwanese eatery, staring into the menu together that was stuck on the wall near its entrance. Eddy peered over Brett's shoulder to look. He whispered;

"Brett is this.. okay? I'm not too close?"

"Yeah it's fine. No, not too close, I mean I don't have a problem with you being close, so long as you don't..."

Make contact.

Eddy stammered;

"Okay. Yeah, I know. Good. I've got this."

Brett awkwardly shuffled.

"So, Eddy..what's this about me deciding on a piece of writing to let you read?"

"Well, that's what you were thinking about during the tutorial, right? You kept going through the files on your computer and shaking your head.. I assumed you were looking through your older pieces of writing and was trying to decide which one you'll let me read?"

Brett blushed.

"Oh my god Eddy, I can't believe you worked me out like that."

Eddy grinned. Then he shyly stammered.

"Well.. um.. I was a bit distracted during the tutorial too."

"Were you? Really? Why?"

Eddy hummed.

"Oooh I dunno. I was wondering what your place would be like. I was wondering what it would be like to spend the evening with you without interruptions.."

Brett smiled.

"C'mon in Eddy. It's not very tidy but I clean every surface every day..."

The flat was clutter-free and spotless. Every shiny surface was shiny, it must have been polished clean in the last 12 hours.

"Look Brett, I know you feel the need to do it for your own sake and that me telling you that you don't have to do it probably doesn't really help you but.."

Brett looked at Eddy and stammered.

"To.. to be honest..? N, no, it doesn't.. at all. But I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you."

Brett placed the takeaway food they bought from the Taiwanese eatery on the dining table. In no time Brett was able to set the table with the takeaway containers opened with serving spoons, bowls, chopsticks and cups of tea.

"Wow, this looks great Eddy. I think we've made a great order."

"Yeah, I agree, Brett. I've been dying to try their mapo tofu..!"

Eddy popped a mouthful of mapo tofu into his mouth. The molten sauce burnt Eddy's lips and proceed to sear the inside of his mouth.

"Aaaaaggghhh!"

"Oh my god, Eddy, are you alright?!"

With tears in his eyes, Eddy pointed to Brett's drink. Brett had put some ice in his glass of tea but Eddy had opted for a hot cup and his drink was still steamy. Eddy pointed to Brett's glass and pleaded with his eyes, begging him for a slip of his drink. He only had just enough restraint in himself to ask first.

Brett's face contoured in anguish as he was torn between a decision he wanted to make for his friend which was the complete opposite of what he wanted Brett to do. Brett grimaced as he grabbed his glass and handed it to Eddy.

Eddy nodded, his way of saying thanks as he lifted up the glass, to take a drink.

Brett bit his lower lip and he eyed what Eddy was doing. He closed his eyelids making is eyes into very thin slits, which looked like an attempt not to see what Eddy was about to do yet he could not not see it either. When Eddy placed his lips on Brett's glass to take a drink, Brett flinched as if he was struck and he slammed his hands on the table and walked off into the bathroom.

Once Eddy felt the cold tea on his lips and in his mouth, he was able to talk again.

"Brett...!!"

Eddy got up from his dining chair and went to the bathroom. He gently knocked on the door.

"Brett..? Are you alright in there?"

"It's not locked..."

Eddy slowly opened the door. Brett had just poured some mouthwash in a small paper cup he seemed to have stocked in his bathroom cabinet.

"Brett.. are you alright..?"

Brett was silent.

"Brett.. thank you for letting me have your drink. You told me that it would upset you a lot if I used your cup and yet you let me. I appreciate you letting me drink it.."

Brett abruptly turned towards Eddy.

"Eddy, please.. will you use this..?"

"Mouthwash..? But we've just started eating.."

"Please Eddy..please.. you just used my glass.. "

Eddy bit his lower lip.

"Okay. Sure. Not a problem."

Eddy looked relieved.

"But before I do.. Brett.. while we're at it.. can I please just.. try something..?"

"What..?"

Eddy stepped in close to Brett and leaned in, pecking him on his cheek.

Brett's eyes widened.

"..Was that okay..?"

"It was okay but.. not okay.."

"..Mouthwash?"

"Yes, now. Please."

"...But Brett, you're not gonna hate me for what I've done..?"

"No, I.. I liked it. But.. but you have to use the mouthwash now, please.."

"Okay."

What must have been a hospital-grade and maximum strength mouthwash numbed Eddy's tongue and burnt his throat. He ensured some of it went onto his lips and it stung like hell.

"It was worth it though."

Eddy murmured as Brett looked relieved after Eddy had spat out the horrible mouthwash down the sink.