Forty-five

"Mrs

"Mrs. Kingston, I advise you to stay until you fully recover, please. You need no more exertion if you truly want your body to recuperate," Dr. Reynolds cries as I put my flip-flops on, ready to leave the hospital.

"That's exactly what I've been telling her," Red breathes tiredly, his arms folded across his chest in a condescending manner.

"I said I'm fine!" I get up. While braiding my hair into one side braid, my gaze moves from Red to Dr. Reynolds. God, they look like Mom and Dad! "If it's about resting, don't worry, Doctor. I'll do that at—" I pause. Home?

I don't think I have a home now. That huge and exquisite mansion will never be my home again! Just the thought of it turns me enraged when I recall what I saw the last time I was there.

I suck in a deep breath and mutter, "I'll take a proper rest, but not in here. I do care about my health so rest assured that I won't do anything to jeopardize it now that I know what can happen if I do otherwise."

And I mean it.

Dr. Reynolds sighs. His crooked glasses urge his hand to adjust them before he gives me a reluctant nod of approval

"Very well," he says with a pause. "Since you have made up your mind that no one seems capable of changing, I have no option but to—"

A knock at the door interrupts his sarcastic speech, and our eyes stalk the swinging pine wood which lets a woman in green scrubs poke her head in.

"Excuse me, Doctor," she utters urgently while widening the door. "You need to see this." She's holding a file with some documents.

Dr. Reynolds strides toward the lady and I guess the show is over. Well, my body is a bit sore but it's nothing I can't handle. If it's resting, I'll do it in the hotel.

"What do I do with you, huh?" Red whispers as he moves closer to me.

I could number a long list of the things he could do with me, but it's not gonna happen. I feel bitter inside, my world turned upside-down, and without a clear warning that I need to brace myself for the harsh spin that rolls me brutally over and over again.

I feel betrayed at every corner, and I think it's true that I shouldn't trust absolutely anyone from this point onwards. Not even this man that I'm still needing right now despite knowing fully well that he's another jigsaw puzzle with so many missing pieces.

"Nothing. You don't need to do anything," I reply and bend over to zip my bag that's containing some essentials Red brought me from home. "Do you have a car?" I glance up at him.

"No. We can wait for Bill . . . Or take a taxi?" he says suggestively.

"A taxi will do. I don't want to stay here a second more," I reply matter-of-factly.

Hospitals make me sick, and knowing Patrick will be here at anytime is one more reason to leave. He's the last person I want to see right now and forever, if I could.