Eighteen

Red's warmth spreads all over my body

Red's warmth spreads all over my body. We're lying in bed, my head on his chest, and his one arm wrapped around me. His tight embrace engulfs my body into a soothing cocoon of safety promises, and frankly, I do feel very safe.

He doesn't utter a word, neither do I, and we've been like this for ages. I've long stopped crying, lost in the smooth, dexterous movement of his fingers running through my hair.

I wish this moment would last forever.

"I need to step out and see if all the doors are locked," Red whispers quietly. I don't respond. "Mia, please don't be mad at me. I promise I won't question anything you do about your life with him. And even if—"

"I'm aware of all his cheating," I blurt, interrupting him without moving a muscle. My voice is very low, dispirited. "I'm also aware that it'll take a lot of effort for me to get out of my marriage with him. I need to be prepared for it."

Just the thought tires me wholly.

Red sucks in a sharp breath. "Does that mean you want to divorce him?" he asks, his voice full of stun and wonder.

Didn't he expect this?

"I thought with your smart Intelligence Quotient you'd have figured that out already," I tease, and somehow I manage to pull out of his chest.

His gaze meets mine as I slowly sit up, and a smile flits on his face. He also sits up so we're facing each other directly.

"I may have a smart IQ . . . but I don't think women are creatures to be underestimated," Red purrs, making my face crunch. "What now? Another one of Mia Vera's reproachful scowls?" He shifts and sits more comfortably.

I burst into fits of giggles, all the tension within melt and gone. Red! Why didn't I know this side of him earlier? I'm in awe.

"You seem to know a lot about women, huh? How many have you dated?" I inquire, and I fail miserably to mask the tiny bit of jealousy scorching in me.

Red smirks, dropping his feet off the bed. "Many enough to know that if I keep this topic up . . . the possibility of having you mad will be higher. Try to sleep, Mia. Goodnight." He leans over and kisses my lips before standing up.

I'm puzzled. What? Just a kiss and he's off? Goodnight? Does that mean I'm sleeping alone?

"Goodnight," I mutter. Maybe it's better I get back to reality as fast as I can. I watch Red walking through the door until he shuts it. "Oh God," I breathe while running my fingers through my hair.

Just as my bodyguard has strongly suggested, I try to sleep while hugging my pillow tight. Fuck, it's harder than I thought. I toss and turn in bed, and in the end I'm facing the ceiling, mindful.

This isn't where I want to be, realization dawns on me and it's too intense to ignore. No, even if it's for the last time, I want to sleep in his arms. Stoutly, I rise up, tug the duvet aside, and flounce speedily toward the door.