.27.

To my relief, no one came to see me the morning of the ball. I did receive a note that could have only been from my father as it simply said last chance and I took its meaning very seriously. This was my last chance to save Mason and his family and I had a plan

Estelle helped Quinn, Jane and Maria dress me. I had thought the attentions payed to me by the queen were elaborate, but each of them took charge of one aspect of the days outfit and were the most thorough I had seen them.

The maids had all agreed that it would not be appropriate for either of us to wear white otherwise it would be an unfair advantage for Mason to see either of us in a bridal fashion. Jane did push to break the rule but I insisted they keep their word.

I had just finished my own preparations when the maids descended. I was primped, pampered and prepared for what would be the most important occasion of my life. While I bathed I battled with myself over if I would go ahead with my plan. But when Aria dropped by in the late afternoon to wish me luck my mind was made up.

'I have not seen your dress yet because I want to be as surprised as Mason, but Jane assures me it is exquisite'

I leaned over to her, ignoring the orders of Estelle not to mess up my hair and confessed that I had not seen it either. We giggled playfully then she hugged me tightly to her. 'I love you very much Eve. You are my dearest friend, and I could not have imagined a better wife for Mason'

She was so sincere and I felt completely undeserving of her honesty. 'I love you too Aria, no matter what, you have been the very best friend I have ever had' I squeezed her tight and ignored the feeling in my chest of my heart beginning to break. When I let her go she smiled at me and we both laughed to see the tears on each others faces, though mine were for a different reason.

When she left the room Estelle came forward and fixed my hair. 'Are you alright Eve' her voice was hushed and her hands distracted by my curls. 'I will be Estelle. Thank you for all your help'

My words mystified her and she lingered in front of me, her eyes looked into mine, before she moved away. I could see that she was still uneasy, but she could not put her finger on why.

My last meal before the ball arrived and I sat in a robe with the maids to take a break from getting ready.

Quinn had left the room in a hurry about five minutes ago, and she returned now with a velvet blue box that was familiar.

'This has just been sent by the Queen' she squealed as she opened it to reveal a beautiful necklace of sapphires and diamonds that would perfectly match my dress. Estelle and Maria gasped at the sparkles. 'She sent one for Anne as well, but I saw it and its not nearly as lovely as this'

'I think it is time to get dressed' Estelle hurried to the closet to fetch my dress which I had not seen yet. I insisted that I be allowed to put on my own undergarments and then waited until Estelle emerged with a beautiful blue dress that was covered in a delicate blue beading. There was a deeper than usual neckline, which once on drew attention to the gorgeous necklace the queen had loaned.

I stepped into the dress behind a screen and pulled it up myself, relieved to find there were no intricate buttons, the fabric simply stretched over my head. I presented myself to the maids and they bustled around me adjusting until they could declare that they were satisfied.

Finally, a guard was called for to escort me to the ballroom. Estelle would accompany me tonight and she wore a simple silver gown that allowed her to fade into the background as needed.

A knock on the door signalled that the guard had arrived, and I looked at myself in the mirror one more time. From my head to my feet I was dressed in the finest things I had ever worn.