.22.

The following day I was invited to an early luncheon with Aria, the princesses and the Queen. I was not too surprised to see that my invitation was on royal stationary after the kiss on the balcony with Mason. A few days ago I would have been almost happy to receive it but the conversation with father had tainted any possible interaction with Mason.

Estelle could sense my unease as well, after I had informed her of my new orders the previous afternoon.

She looked at the card then reluctantly announced I must be dressed appropriately. I was washed, poked, prodded, and placed into a very light purple dress that was perfect for sitting about in.

That is how I found myself sitting out in the garden, surrounded by the women vying for Masons affection.

'Would you like some tea, Eve?' The Princess Anne questioned me kindly. I nodded in thanks and watched her pour, apparently graceful in everything she did. Her light green dress complimented her features. It was a colour that she could wear every day and you would not get sick of looking at her.

It was a beautiful day, the sun beaming down strongly and hardly a chill in the air. Blankets were strewn across the lawn and we sat comfortably beneath umbrellas brought out to protect us from the burning sun.

Aria sat beside her mother, talking to each other quietly, while I sat beside Princess Anne, with the Princesses Heleana and Sapphira across from us, both in bright dresses that grabbed attention. No one spoke as we ate the sandwiches that were placed in front of us.

Truthfully I felt a little out of place, surrounded by such refined princesses. I doubted very much that any of them would be able to throw Mason over their shoulder in a fight.

A commotion among the guards alerted us to Mason's presence, and he came out onto the lawn over to his Mother. All three princesses sat up straighter and smiled brighter, but I felt myself shrink inwards, doing my best to avoid eye contact and attention.

He greeted his mother and Aria then turned to us.

'Good morning ladies, I trust you have enjoyed your first few days here at the castle'

Sapphira was the first to speak, making bold eye contact with the Prince and smiling flirtatiously 'Of course your Majesty, it is quite... enchanting' her thick accent made every word she said a seduction.

Mason smiled politely then turned to the others, 'Well I am glad you are all here, and I look forward to getting to know you all better'

I felt his glance but I kept my head down, focused on my tea.

'Princess Heleana, would you join me for a stroll to the pond?'

Her face displayed her shock at being asked as she stood up hurriedly, 'Yes, your Highness, thank you'

He reached out his elbow for her to grab onto and they strolled in what I assumed was the direction of the pond. Once they were out of earshot Sapphira turned to me with an ugly sneer.

'What on earth are you doing here? You are not a princess, no?'

Arias head turned to our direction, probably hearing her rude words and at the ready to defend me if I should need it.

'I did not know I was being included in this outing, I simply received an invitation this morning, just like you' Sapphira did not look happy to be compared to me, someone so clearly beneath her.

'There must be a mistake', she pressed on, growing more animated, 'The Prince would never marry someone who was not of royal blood, just a commoner who was here by chance'