chapter 70 - guarded

Start from the beginning

"That's great! Before you know it, you're holding a copy."

"Don't rush it!" I said. "Gotta give me some time before it can be turned into a paperback."

"I will." he replied. "So.. what's the real reason behind your call?"

Dylan knew me too well.

"I want to finish where we left off this morning." I said. "If you don't mind?"

He momentarily paused. "I don't mind." Dylan answered.

Relief surged through me. "Okay." I began quietly. "So you said you had been thinking about something but you didn't finish your sentence because of Harry walking in. What were you about to tell me?"

"I already knew you wouldn't forget what happened this morning." Dylan pointed out, and I smiled at his words.

We had both gotten to know each other's character over time and we had learned the two of us always paid attention to what the other wanted to say or had said instead of disregarding it.

"Uhm, well, like I told you at breakfast, I have been into boys and girls for as long as I can remember. I have mostly been attracted to girls until I went to my go-to bookstore because, when I was looking for a book and I couldn't find it, I accidentally ended up having some small talk with one of the employees who happened to be a guy."

I sat down on the couch and reached for my plaid to cover myself. "And what happened after that?" I asked.

"I went back the next day. I don't know why I did it, but I felt like I had to come back. See him again."

"And did you see him that day?"

"Yeah, I did, which was extremely awkward!" Dylan breathed out forcefully. "He was astonishingly straightforward by asking me if I was there because of him. Obviously, I freaked out from the inside because I didn't think he would be so blunt about it. Also, I hadn't come up with a decent lie which I could use to make it look like I truly needed to be there."

"So what did you say?"

"I wanted to tell him the truth, but I told him I wanted to return my purchase from the day before." Dylan explained. "Apparently, I had forgotten to remove the book from my backpack." he sighed, hopelessly. "I didn't even want to return it!"

"Sounds like you've got a crush on this dude." I declared. It was too obvious this guy had gotten into Dylan's head, which was somewhat adorable.

"I do. It's pathetic." Dylan voiced.

"How dare you say it's pathetic, Dylan!" I spoke up. "I know the feeling. I still feel it when I look at Harry. Liking someone just makes you feel alive. It's such a thrill!" I claimed with elation.

"Well, it wasn't all fun and games at the beginning for you, was it?"

"You're right about that. It was quite a struggle." I stated.

"Exactly! That's why I wish I could turn it off sometimes." Dylan said. "There are moments I think of him too much."

"Have you seen or talked to him after you returned the book?" I asked curiously. If he hadn't, we needed to come up with a plan so Dylan could see him again.

"We went on a date, actually."

"What the hell, Dylan?! That's amazing! How did that happen?" I desperately wanted to find out more; how had their date been? Had there been a second one?