Chapter 5-Feelings

Jake's POV:

"KIDS BREAKFAST" Mom yelled from downstairs 

I was starving and knew if I wanted what smelled like pancakes, I better beat Sam down there.  That kid ate like he had a tapeworm, I thought shaking my head.  I rolled out of bed and made my way down stairs.  Josh was the only one in the kitchen so far and was just sitting down after fixing his plate.  I got my coffee, fixed my plate, and sat down.  Danny was the next one to enter and then while he was fixing his plate Sloan and Sam walked in.   She looked slightly pained at whatever Sam was bothering her about, but my eyes followed her as she walked by.  Even with that pained face, and no makeup she still looked beautiful. She was wearing her hair down and that seemed odd, usually the mornings when she stayed the night she'd wear it in a messy bun.  What was happening, why do I even know that detail about her, I thought to myself.  I knew after last night I was starting to feel things for her but maybe I had feelings before and just didn't know, or maybe I did and just ignored them, I wasn't entirely sure. She walked over and started fixing a plate for her and Sam. 

" Looks like someone had fun last night," Danny said, "Who gave you that?"

I looked up from my coffee to see Josh inspecting her neck, I must have given her a hickey and didn't realize it.  I bit my lip. This should be interesting.  I hadn't told anyone what happened and I assumed she hadn't either.  

"So, Sloan, who is this mystery man?" Josh asked

Sloan didn't say anything and just stayed facing the window, fixing her plate.  I could tell she was nervous and I just couldn't help myself, 

"Yes Sloan, who is this mystery man" I said smiling, she didn't move, just looked up from her plate and out the window.  

"No one special thats for sure." She said in a snarky tone as she turned around and shot me a devilish look.  Did I just see that right?  My face grew more serious as I tried to read her.  

"I mean honestly I don't even remember much so it must not have been that great."  She said plainly, taking a bite of her pancakes. 

I stood up to get myself more coffee and also to keep myself from prying for more information.  I couldn't tell if she was just trying to mess with me, or if she was serious.  Maybe she didn't remember, or maybe she didn't want to.  How could she not remember? I was wasted and I remembered, hell I couldn't get her out of my head.    I got more coffee and sat back down to finish breakfast as we talked about the party the night before, and planned our hike for later that day.  I stayed quiet most of the time just sipping on my coffee and occasionally nodding.  Sloan originally didn't want to go camping but a nagging Josh and Sam finally convinced her. I was glad.   

"Took you long enough!" Josh yelled as Sam and Sloan finally made their way to the trail.  Sloan made some remark about Sam being a diva that made you laugh and say, "Typical." 

We made our way down to the campsite we all loved, it was quite a walk and it was just getting dark when we got there.   We all got our tents set up and started a fire.  We sat by the fire, everyone having their own conversations, in between taking drinks and drags from the joints Sam had brought.  Once again I stayed pretty quiet strumming away on my guitar. My mind was focused on what Sloan had said this morning and I couldn't decide what to think.  

"Oh no, the fire is going out" I heard, breaking my concentration 

Sloan volunteered to go get firewood because Josh couldn't even stand.  I watched as she slowly made her way to the woods, the soft glow of the fire illuminating her face.  She gave a slight smile as she walked past, laughing at Josh's attempt to stand.  Maybe I would try to talk to her when she got back.  Josh began to stand and fell over on me, usually I would laugh but I was a little on edge, still thinking about my feelings and Sloan's snarky remark this morning.