26 | Caren

An object was tossed on my glass-topped desk that pulled my gaze from the folder and to the clear covered spiral notebook

               An object was tossed on my glass-topped desk that pulled my gaze from the folder and to the clear covered spiral notebook. The fragrance breezing off the person ahead of my desk engulfs my nostrils and had me look up. It was Xavier, wearing a black Fear Of God hoodie and black pants. His hair was unbraided, naturally curly and shoulder length, under a black rolled up beanie. Confusion took over me at the fact he in my JNC office and not California.

               "You're here.. in my office.. without my baby."

               "He with Chloe and yo moms. Check this out." Xavier jabbed his finger on top of the spiral notebook with an amount of excitement that kept me confused. He claimed a spot in the chocolate, suede chair and crossed his legs, ankle over his knee, revealing his OG Pine Green Jordans.

               "What exactly is this?" I raised the spiral notebook and read the words under the clear cover:

               ZC2 Bistro & Bar.

               "ZC2 Bistro & Bar?" I read out loud, "You're opening a restaurant?"

               "We are opening restaurant," he pointed between us.

               "We?"

               "Yeah. ZC2—Zay, Calen, and Chloe. Get it? C2?" he chuckled.

               I narrowed my eyes, tilting my head slightly. "Did you lose your position with the team? Cause you're acting weird. You're wanting to do this all of a sudden. You never mentioned this before."

               Xavier chuckled. "No, baby, I am still majority share holder of the Cobras. That will never changed. I'm just thinking about the true. Something pass down to our kids. Hence, why it's named after our kids—ZC2. I'm just telling you about it 'cause I wanted everything in order from the building to construction to the perfect location. Building secured. I want this to be our business. We can go into business with each other. We all have shares; 20% for all five of us. We make money and our kids make money. Whatcha think?"

               "Uhm.." I paused and sat down the spiral notebook, "Do you think that's a good idea? We are both learning how this coparent thing works. Us going into a business venture together would mean we have to be around each other more, communicate more other than about the kids."

               "Which would help us," he figured. "I feel I mean it would."

               I cut my eyes and he defended himself by saying, "This not a tactic to get you back with me. The divorce will be final soon and I'm not tryna mess that up since this what you want. I'm not gonna jeopardize it. But this bistro, our bistro, is really something I want to do for our family. Leave our kids a legacy. Something they can pass down. You can think on it. The contract in there. You can fax it to yo lawyer, let 'em look it over, and we can go from there."