11 | Joie

Our girl's movie night was a complete bust

               The reason for it was to lend a hand to Caren and let her rest. But it went completely sideways when Jade and me got into an argument—we made up, but it was the start of the night's energy shifting, then Caren and Andi had a disagreement and it was all over.

               Jade and me stayed over Caren's, watched a few movies, and everyone felt it was a good idea to go home and lay in our own beds. I tried to check on Andi, but she didn't respond. I'm sure because she was upset, so I let her be to cool off.

               Next morning I was up and drove all the way to the south taking Gunner and Misty to school and grab breakfast and orange juice as our routine. .

               "Thank you, love." I accepted the bag from the McDonald's employee. I hand it over to Gunner in the next seat as I start to pull off. "Check and make sure everything's inside."

               "I hope they gave more strawberry jelly this time." Misty said from the backseat.

               "It's all in here." Gunner informed, handing Misty her choice of breakfast. "You want yours, Jojo?"

               "Just the hash brown." Gunner gave me the hash brown and I start eating it on route to their school.

               "Where was Aqua?" I ask, noticing she wasn't there when I picked them up.

               Gunner shrugged as he ate. "I don't know. She's always gone at night and coming in early. She's usually home when we wake up. She wasn't this morning, though."

               "She works at a club." It came out of Misty's mouth muffled since she ate her biscuit.

               I glanced in the rearview mirror at Misty, as she sat on her booster seat wearing her uniform and her silky brunette hair neatly done in two buns by me. "A club? What club?"

               "I'm not supposed to tell. I just overhear." Misty said.

               "I'm not going to tell Aqua you told me, Misty. What club?"

               "I don't know." Misty shrugged, "She told her friend Jackie. She knows which club."

               I couldn't investigate Misty any further because I pulled up to their elementary school and let them out and join the other children for the next eight hours. I tried to call Aqua as I drove away from the school, but received no answer. It went straight to voicemail.