14 | Caren

The Latino male in the nice suit stood on the side of the door I opened wearing my pajamas and holding the glass of white wine

The Latino male in the nice suit stood on the side of the door I opened wearing my pajamas and holding the glass of white wine. I glanced at what he held in his hand and motioned for him to come inside. He followed me in and I led him to the living room.

We sat on the couch and I immediately asked, "so?"

"I have some interesting information for you."

"So, show me." I sat the glass on the table and took a deep breath, "I can handle it."

He eyed me for a second before he gave me the folder. I held it in my hand, hesitant to look inside, but I knew I had to. I opened it, pulling out the photos taken of a woman off guard. She was coming out of a building and getting inside a SUV. I recognized the tag and I recognized her. It only confirmed what I already knew.

The suit-wearing Latino beside me was Santiago Hernandez, a private investigator I hired three years ago to follow the husband that I don't trust. I haven't been using Santiago lately, but when I noticed Xavier creeping out late at night when he thought I was sleep, I brought Santiago back into the picture to follow his every move.

The image I stared at specifically of the woman coming out of a building broke me. "Please tell me she's not coming out of a clinic."

"I wish I could Caren," said Santiago. "I got one of the women at the front desk to tell me what she was there for. It was an abortion."

Now that broke me entirely. "How far along?"

"One month."

I scoffed, standing from the couch and pacing slowly. I couldn't say anything. I felt I wanted to cry. I wanted to scream. I wanted to pick up the wine glass and throw it at the wall. But I stopped myself and swallowed the emotions I wanted to feel.

I faced Santiago, expressionless. "Do you know where he is now?"

"Wyndham Garden."

"Thank you, Santiago, that's all for tonight."

I could tell he was concerned by me being so calm about the situation, but he left anyway. I changed out of my pajamas and into a plain shirt, sweatpants, and Jordan shoes. My hair I was putting in a low, knot bun as I called the best friend I knew would ride with me for the mission I'm on.