18 | Caren

Joie referred me to a divorce attorney Kyle worked with long ago when he was a bulldog lawyer, and I reached the floor in my pointed toe pumps that I paired with a strapless belted sheath dress; hem hitting right above my knee

Joie referred me to a divorce attorney Kyle worked with long ago when he was a bulldog lawyer, and I reached the floor in my pointed toe pumps that I paired with a strapless belted sheath dress; hem hitting right above my knee. I done my natural curls into a pineapple updo and kept my accessories simple.

I reached the receptionist desk. "Good morning. I have an appointment with Susie Copeland."

"Okay, one moment." the receptionist raised the desk phone to her ear and let her boss know I was there. She nodded before hanging up. "Come with me honey."

I followed the woman, reaching the door that was open and knocked lightly. "Miss Copeland, here's Caren Rhodes."

"Anderson." I corrected mentioning my maiden name.

"Anderson. I'm sorry." the receptionist apologized.

"You're fine hun."

"Caren Anderson..." the brown skin-toned woman with her natural texture dyed a plum color and she dressed nicely. "Susie Copeland. You're a friend of Kyle Chamber's?"

"You can say that. I know him from my old neighborhood. South Side."

"Kyle was one of the best attorneys here." Susie said as she motioned for me to sit and I did. "So, you're wanting to file for divorce from your husband of how many years?"

"Eighteen."

Susie exhaled sharply. "Whew. That's such a long time. Why now?"

"Because for sixteen of those years being married he cheated on me and I have proof."

"Proof?" Susie eyebrows raised in interest. "As in...?"

"Pictures." I pulled out my Brunello Cucinelli tote bag and smacked down the folders full of Xavier and his one night affairs. "I hired PI a three years ago. There's so many women with that time I can't even count. Probably even more. But it was one—Akeela Turner—that he actually had an affair with. He met her two years ago. She was his mistress. Is his mistress. He got her pregnant."

"So there's a baby involved?"

"Not anymore." I chuckled, "He paid for her abortion."